• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 BUILD IN PROGRESS

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
The build of the XJ Dana 44 is in progress. Here is the first shot of the axle, cleaned up, old shock mounts removed and ready for the sand blaster. I left in the old bearing races so the blaster wouldn't hit the race mounting surfaces and distort them.

Next step after the blaster is welding on new side mount shock brackets from Ruffstuff. It will have disc brakes and it will be regeared with 4.88's and a Detroit. YES, I've decided on the Detroit as the ARB and it's related hardware and costs are too much.

STAGE 1. Axle stripped and ready to go to the blaster.

44_1.gif

BTW. the 3.55 gears, pinion and carrier are in great shape and still for sale for $60.

gears_1.gif

pinion_1.gif

OK... picking up the housing from the media blaster tomorrow. Still waiting for the shock mounts from Ruffstuff. Deciding on a truss from Dan at RS or the T&T Customs. Both are excellent. Here's a picture showing before and after of the axle shafts. Amazing what a course knotted wire wheel and a nylon wire wheel can do. New axle shafts.

axles.gif

NEXT QUESTION?

Is there a clear coat or something on the shafts? Seems like something was peeling when I was taking the wheel to it. Obviously I don't paint the bearing mounting surfaces, but do you paint or put a coating the shafts or leave em bare?

If your going as far as 4.88's and trussing the housing, why not spend the $200 to put alloy shafts in at the same time?

Here's the axle back from the cleaners...

fullsb.gif

sandblast.gif

NEXT STEP... shock mounts and caliper brackets. I think I'm going to do the welded Ruffstuff brackets. Process sounds easy enough, bolt on a caliper, bolt in the axles, put on a rotor, slide caliper into position, tack weld bracket into place. Definately inexpensive. I can get new Bendix loaded cals for $45. I'll use a Wrangler rotor. Those are even cheaper. Should be less than $200 bucks for new rear disks. I'm doing a DS brake to replace the ebrake. Checking out the products from Eastwood to paint it up. Going to do my turdy in place.

Back