• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter problem?

elkydwodo

NAXJA Forum User
starter problem? NSS problem? jeep problem?

Other night I got in my 2001 XJ and I tried to start it and heard nothing but little clicks. After trying all kinds of stupid crap I went and bought a new starter. I installed it and it fired right up and sounded great. Got through about 10 starts until the next day after I drove it across town, turned it off, tried to turn it back on, and it did the same clicking. Help me?

Last edited:
The clicks can be the starter relay that goes on/off. This can happen on a weak battery. Too weak to start, but strong enough to switch the relay. Then it gets in a relay on/off loop. Maybe try charging the battery (even if the voltage over the poles may be reasonable it may still be weak). Anyway, so much for my $0.02. Good luck.

Well, as long as it clicks, the relay is probably fine. What I thought is that maybe your battery is partially drained. If you tried cables and it didn't start, then the weak battery theory is out the window. Sorry.

dutchjeep said:
Well, as long as it clicks, the relay is probably fine. What I thought is that maybe your battery is partially drained. If you tried cables and it didn't start, then the weak battery theory is out the window. Sorry.

I'd have to say not necessarily on this one. A good battery will readily accept a quick and strong charge that a jump provides. If after trying to jump it and this is still happening, I'd STRONGLY suspect the battery.

When jump starting, the idea is to quickly charge your battery and then start your engine using your own freshly charged batt. It is not going to draw all the starting current through the alligator clips and cables from the other vehicle. If your own batt can't hold a charge and the soleniod's clicking, it's time for a new optima!

Probably the easiest way to test your battery in a situation like this is doing this-Try to start it with some lights on. Headlights, dash lights, dome light, whatever you can see. If they dim at all while trying to start, bingo. Though generally if the soleniod is only clicking the battery is beyond this test. it's WAY dead.

Last edited:
Come to find out, there was too much anti corrosion gel crap on my ground terminal... after i wiped it all off it started working right again...clamp doesn't tighten up too well anymore either though. boy do i feel like a genius. at least i got my money back from autozone.

elkydwodo said:
Come to find out, there was too much anti corrosion gel crap on my ground terminal... after i wiped it all off it started working right again...clamp doesn't tighten up too well anymore either though. boy do i feel like a genius. at least i got my money back from autozone.

cable corrosion could also be complicating the problem, if your battery cables are corroded under the insulation, you will not be getting the full battery strength to the starter motor. If you have that problem again, look into new cables, a cheap fix and it will head off a number of other problematic symptoms in the future.

Back