• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you out diagnose the dealer? Won't start...

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
About once every other day it just will not start, no click, no crank, doesn't seem like the starter or anything mechanical. All the dash lights come on but when its moved into the ign. position, nothing. Also, the shifter handle doesn't always lock into park, though it is in park, I am unable to take the key out until I bump the shifter up and it clicks into place. Dealer said these two issues were related, said they adjusted the position of the handle but it still does the same thing. So when I go back I need to have some idea of what to tell them, any ideas?
Thanks.
Alex
2001 Sport, Auto

MIne has the same problem with the shifter and I have just gotten used to it. As for the no start issue i have no clue without more info. What have they checked so far?

When it won't start, wiggle the shift lever and try to start it. Try this with the shift lever in park and neutral. If it starts. it is probably a dirty or defective Neutral safety switch (NSS).

goodburbon said:
will it start in neutral when this happens?

Have not tried, but will next time.

I believe there is a shift interlock cable that will keep the key from coming out. I have not seen one from your year, but the on on my '89 is entirely mechanical. It should not keep the Jeep from starting, though. How are your battery cables?

Battery is fine, perfect, or better. Everything else lights up and powers up just fine when the key goes to "On". I'm going to go to the dealership and see if they can figure it out while I still have a warranty, but like I said, they are clueless so....

I had a problem with not starting and the battery was perfect. It was the battery cable that was bad.

Rewired everything with welding cable, a pretty good job if you asked me :roflmao: . It should all be fine, and it starts like nothing happened after I pull the key and put it back.

Mine wouldn't start every now and then. Same thing as you - most of the time it would, but then sometimes, all the lights, but nothing. I never had the issue about releasing my key though. I found that it would start if I pushed the shifter up or wiggled it around, so I determined it was my NSS. I took it apart, cleaned it, etc and haven't had a problem since!!!

It is the park nuetral switch on the side of passanger side of the transmission, They are well known for not working. You can buy a new one...they are priecey, or you can refurbish the one that is on there. basically you take it apart, and clean all the old die-electric grease out, and clean all the copper terminal add a generous amount ou new die-electric grease, reinstall it, and adjust it.

Just to be clear is that different than the NSS? Do you think that might be covered by the drivetrane warranty, it seems like an essential piece of equipment to me, no? Thanks!

EMSJEEP said:
Rewired everything with welding cable, a pretty good job if you asked me :roflmao: . It should all be fine, and it starts like nothing happened after I pull the key and put it back.

I think you just answered your own question..... If it starts after pulling the key back out and putting it back in it's the ingnition switch.
My 92 has an oddball problem where sometimes I pull the key and everything stays on even though the ignition switch is off and the key is out....really freaked out a cop one night!

JS

8/80 I'm at 789xx now

Job #4 Engine
Customer states that there is a hesitation and a rough idle
tested vehicle, could not verify complaint at this time.
Checked for codes, no codes found. Checked for TSB/S. None
found. Found vehicle as excessive aftermarket components connected to battery. :bs: No problems found at this time.

Job # 5 Electrical
Customer States that the vehicle doesn't start on occations
(no crank or clicking) key has to be removed and retried
See Job 6. Shifter linkage adjusted.

Job #6 Trans Auto/Manu
Shifter doesn't always lock into park. Key cannon be removed
on occasions
adjusted shifter linkage to the proper adjustment.

Anyway this fixed nothing, so its going back for the switch, we'll see what happens.

JS4309 said:
It's a whole lot cheaper replacing it yourself than paying a dealer, and you'll have more $$ for other items.

JS

I'll see if the warranty covers it first. I'm also going to see if they can improve my life by replacing the bolts on the rear upper shock mounts under warranty or for a few bucks so I don't have to deal with it when I do my lift. Fighting with hard to reach bolts and manipulating vital systems that I don't really understand is more than I want to bite off at the moment, but if it comes down to them charging me an arm and a leg I'll suck it up and deal with it myself. I'm also not happy the dealer didn't catch this on the first go around...going somewhere else this time.

Back