• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Churning sound from gas tank

jcjeeper89

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle Specs:
1997 XJ, 6 cylinder, 4.0 engine, 5 spd Manual Trans

I am hearing a strange churing/bubbling sound (like coffee brewing) coming from the gas tank when I park my jeep and shut off the engine.

This has been going on for a couple of days now. My only thought is that maybe the fuel is returing to the tank through the pump and that's wht is making the noise. It may also be helpful to note that I just filled (up to the fill line) my gas tank for the first time since I bought the vehicle back in January.

Is this a normal noise or could my fuel pump or other fule component(s) be in need of replacement? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

I have the same noise with the same vehicle. 97 XJ, 4.0L, 5spd, 4x4. It's done since I got the jeep about a year ago. Never had a problem with anything. Still getting 18-22 mpg.

Hmm... I'm getting the same thing. You cant hear it so much form the outside, only on the inside. 2 door, 97 XJ, 4.0 5 spd. 4x4... no problems yet though.

I am familiar with the coolant sound from the front end. But this is definitely rear, drivers side, any is more audible when inside the vehicle.

My 97 does that too, it won't cause a problem as far as I know

I almost positive I read on here that there is a service bulletin out for it though and the dealer will fix it for free, I think its something to do with the filler neck, I really can't remember though the thread was in like December

Search on here you might be able to find the thread or call you Jeep dealer and check

the filler neck has a vent hose that (if overfilled or somehow ingests gas) can make all kinda gurgling noises-- have not seen the thread, but have experienced it before-- try pulling the small filler vent hose and letting it breath overnight. hook it back up and see if it helps
--Shorty

Back