• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack lighting

formatt

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys.

when mounting lights to a roof rack, where did you run your wiring from? i saw one guy that had drilled a hole in his roof and put a grommet in there. i'm not about to do that. i've also seen some xj's running the wiring with the wire loom that contains the rear defrost, brake, etc. then just kinda running it thru the crack at the top of the door? i'm not too thrilled about that either. i definitely don't need water pouring in the back.

anyone have any examples i can check out? thanks!

:confused:

matt.
96 xj with stuff.

i dont know how many marine/boating supply shops are in colorado but get a waterproof bulkhead fitting used to run wires thru a wall and remain watertight.. they are sometimes called stuffing tubes... then there would be little danger of water coming thru any hole you drill..
mike

awww comon don't be such a weenie:D If you have a roof rack that is a perfect place to hide your wires. I drilled a small hole behind the pillar that holds the rack, and then filled it with silicone. No leakies, couldn't even see it (if your Jeep is lifted).

JJ13 said:
awww comon don't be such a weenie:D If you have a roof rack that is a perfect place to hide your wires. I drilled a small hole behind the pillar that holds the rack, and then filled it with silicone. No leakies, couldn't even see it (if your Jeep is lifted).

yeaah.. i'm gonna use that as a last resort i think. JJ13.. any chance that you could post or email me a pic of it? i dunno why but i'm just a little leary of drilling a hole in my roof... weenie or not. :rolleyes: i'm not so concerned with it being visible with a 6" lift and 33's.

I don't blame you, I was a little leary too. I have since taken my rack off so I don't have any way of getting you a pic, sorry. If you do drill a hole, make sure you use a stop on the drill bit to keep the bit from grabbing and going through your headliner.

Back