• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New carrier hinge

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
PART 1
So after the spindle on my tire carrier sheared I decide it was time for a pivotal change to the carrier.
I started with a Dana44 hub from a 81 F-100.
carrier002a.JPG

Disassemble the same as you would any hub.
carrier004a.JPG

carrier009a.JPG

carrier010a.JPG

After I cut off and ground down the spindle and hub I figured out that the hub and spindle were going to be too darn tall. I cut them both down to a more manageable height.
carrier012a.JPG

I should also note that I welded the stub shaft to the spindle before welding the spindle to the bumper. Here's how it looks so far.
carrier016a.JPG

So far so good, but that sure is the expensive way to do that. Most trailer places have weld on stub axles and hubs for about $35-$40 so I would not have hacked up that expensive hub.

Frank Z said:
The hub cost me $15 at the local U-Pull-It. I had a trailer axle stub originally...as I stated in the first sentence, it sheared off.

Sorry I thought that the Ford hub had sheared off. My bad. Around here that would have cost $75-80 bucks. Looks good so far. I tend to over engineer everything anyway so there you go.
Waiting on step 2.........

Have you already got the frame for the carrier re-inforced? I wouldn't want that hub to shear as well. See overengineering again.

Part 2
Assembly went fairly smooth and the hub works very well. The damn thing is huge though. Sorry for the dark pics.
All welded and painted. Purdy ain't it?
carrier028a.JPG

carrier027a.JPG

The hub does a great job of holding the carrier open even with the heep pointing down hill.
carrier022a.JPG

carrier025a.JPG

Was it worth the effort? Yeah, I think so.
I still need to tweak the hook portion of the latch since the carrier is slightly higher above the bumper now. I'll save that for this weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Frank Z said:
Here's a better pic of the finished product.
carrier.jpg

Been following your project and can't seem to get that last pic to open. One question on the ones I did open, are you just useing the locking hub as a latch because I missed anything about a latch. As you know I already misread one of your posts and don't want to duplicate that error.
Is the tag light the only thing in that huge wire loom snakeing out from under the bumper?

Back