• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC removal question

fluidmotion

NAXJA Forum User
i rarely ever use my ac anymore and i would like to remove the condenser to get better flow to my radiator but keep the compressor for OBA later on. a couple of questions i have after searching and reading are, how much does a shop normally charge to get rid of the refrigerant? and if i keep the compressor and have the refrigerant drained, will it still effect my defroster by not making the air dry. this is all on a 92 XJ if that matters

If it still has the R-12 in it, any shop would probably recover it for free for you being how expensive it now is. Ask around. And the defroster will not be as effective, but will still work fine-just take a little longer.

If it has R-12 in it, I'd be suprised if theres anything left in the system. If there is, it shouldn't be much. Does your AC still work? What year is the vehicle?

my jeep is a 92 and we rarely used the ac (had the jeep in the family since brand new). it still works and gets damn cold, but i prefer to just roll the windows down rather than use the ac

bfred said:
If it still has the R-12 in it, any shop would probably recover it for free for you being how expensive it now is. Ask around. And the defroster will not be as effective, but will still work fine-just take a little longer.
thanks, ill check with some local shops and see what they say

Back