• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Resetting the Computer

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
I read somewhere that's it possible to reset the parameters in the computer and now I can't find the thread. If I remember correctly, you disconnect the battery (maybe only one side?) and then turn the key to On (not start) for a certain amount of time. Does anyone know how this goes? Thanks!

I think that by putting the key to on (not start) that you can get some engine codes or something, I believe that to reset the computer you just start the engine after reconnecting and it resets right away. I did this after installing a TB spacer and it sputtered for a second until the computer readjusted to the new parameters and now is good to go.

Tom,

Disconnect the negative terminal of battery for about 10 minutes, while leaving the key in the on position. The key in on position allows your system to "bleed" off any residual capacitance your electric system may hold, while the negative terminal is disconnected. This makes sure the PCM is completely de-energized.

I usually do this whenever I change plugs, so that the PCM and re-learn the new plug gaps....

Ivan said:
Tom,

Disconnect the negative terminal of battery for about 10 minutes, while leaving the key in the on position. The key in on position allows your system to "bleed" off any residual capacitance your electric system may hold, while the negative terminal is disconnected. This makes sure the PCM is completely de-energized.

I usually do this whenever I change plugs, so that the PCM and re-learn the new plug gaps....

And this doesn't hurt the PCM at all? I'll have to give this a try when I do a tune up in about 6K or so...

No, it does NO harm what-so-ever.

The PCM is adaptive, at least the Chrysler, I think the Renix also. It stores values to tailor the fuel table according to sensor readings. So, if you dump those table by reseting the PCM, the computer must relearn and fill back in those tables. The first 50-75 miles after a reset may be less than perfect running.

99XJSPORT06 said:
And this doesn't hurt the PCM at all? I'll have to give this a try when I do a tune up in about 6K or so...

No, but don't be surprised to find a puddle of stray capacitance on the floor after this procedure......

XJEEPER said:
No, but don't be surprised to find a puddle of stray capacitance on the floor after this procedure......

Dork!:dunce:
All you have to do it to hold it over an anti-static discharge bucket.

Back