• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeez i feel like a newbie.. leaking steering fluid

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
damn.. this is like my third "i dont know what to do :rattle: " thread in as many days....

anyway. ive noticed that she is leaking power steering fluid [i know this because its red and its coming from the power steering box area] but only when running. while off she is fine, but once she starts up, it starts to leak. and a pretty decent amount. there was a six inch puddle after about a half hour... just wondering if the pump is going out or the steering box [the steering box has most of the fluid on it, the pump seems to have barely any] or perhaps simply a hose leak.

its just weird that it is ONLY when the jeep is on and running.

thanks
Travis

Not weird at all. It is under pressure when its running. It could be the hose or more likely the output or input seal on the steering box. I ended up just replacing my whole box for one from Autozone or Kragen or one of those stores. It was around 150 or 175 for the box. I hear of people just replacing the seal, but mine was leaking all over.

KH

Well, the power steering system is only presurized when the engine is running.

EDIT: Beat me to it!!

Keep in mind while searching for the leak that your tranny cooler lines also run through that same area and have red fluid in them (assuming you have an auto).

:cheers:

dlarrivee said:
My power steering fluid isn't red.

The previous owner could have used ATF in place of power steering fluid, which is NOT recomended unless the manual specifically states it can be used.

Many NEWER vehicles do in fact use ATF instead of power steering fluid, but I believe our systems do not call for it.

In the 50's they used ATF as PS Fluid. Many of the PS Systems demanded much more from the fluid, so they came up with better fluid that was specific PS Fluid, even some had even higher demand fluid, thus if you look close at the bottle some PS Fluid tell you what brand of vehicle they are formulated for.

In the last couple of years, many automatic transmissions have higher and higher demand on their ATF, so they have formulated some pretty high speed ATF. Chrysler ATF+4 comes to mind.

So now we have come full circle and some of the manufacturers now have such high performing ATF that it exceeds the specs for their PS Fluid.

Chrysler after 2002 with their ATF+4 is the only one that comes to mind.

Still, the best fluid is what is specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

Just because a 2004 Mini-Van uses ATF+4 as PS Fluid does NOT mean its OK to use Dexron as PS Fluid in your 1989 XJ.

Rick Anderson said:
Just because a 2004 Mini-Van uses ATF+4 as PS Fluid does NOT mean its OK to use Dexron as PS Fluid in your 1989 XJ.

Agreed. Thats the point I was trying to get too...lol

yea, i didnt put it in lol, just reporting.

its been raining here, so ill check it tomorrow. if the fluid is red, i know its most likely PS pump/steering box if not, most likely tranny

ok. it IS steering fluid without a doubt.

it is leaking from the top of hte steering box.

there is a ridge with two flared ends
steeringbox.jpg

the hole is not visible to the eye when the engine is off. but when running, you can see it bubble up and it starts a stream down to the pitman arm...

2 questions.
how in the heck is there a hole ALL THE WAY UP THERE it just looks like a ridge...

and

is this fixable do you think, or will it need replacing?

yeap, i checked them, and i dipped my finger in the ps res. whoever changed the fluid last used ATF for the fluid, not ideal, but not hole causing either...

there is a pin hole in the top of that ridge that i have pictured... i can see it bubbling up when it starts

sorry, dont know what that is...
i marked it on that pic. i cant even see it with my eyes, but it sure does come out when its on...

if all else fails ill try epoxy, and if that doesnt work then ill just get a new one..

whoever said tranny coolant line, and i denied, you were 100% correct.

what happened was that coolant line had a microscopic hole in it that sent a high pressure stream to that point on the steering box, i had noticed it the other day, but payed it no mind and shrugged it off as a cobweb [as it wasnt there after i shut it off..]

i was doing some diagnostics and realized that the "hole in the steering box" was moving with the line lol. im trying to see if i can patch it as it is so small, but if not, its only one hard line [though if i replace that ill just replace the whole thing] and will only take a couple mins.

but i have a Q...
how do i replace the fluid that was lost, as it has been ALOT of lost fluid and i dont want to over heat the tranny...

get some ATF (you won't need more than one or two quarts) and a funnel, find the tranny dipstick/fill tube, add till its full.

Back