• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 parking brake adjustment

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
im in the final stages of my 8.8/HP30 build. i have a question about the 8.8 (w/ discs) parking brake adjustment. it looks to me like the little adjuster sleeve is all the way closed but the discs still dont seem to fit on the parking brake pads. is there something els im missing? they slide on ok for about 1/8" or less but after that it gets really really tight.

any help and or links to write ups would be awsome!

thanks!

Is the e brake cable still off? When you manually throw the actuator lever it should return all the way to the return position. Somtimes you need to bang the shoes from the left and right to get them to seat on their monting positions. I bet if you fiddle with it you will get them on.

no shoes. pads.

rear discs require a special tool to release the paking brake.
http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-kd-3163.html

Do not push the piston in like on the front brakes. It must be screwed in (clockwise). Screw it in and compress the piston gently. That's why the piston has notches in it. You can get the tool at most parts stores or you can use a pair of channel locks if you are careful and don't scar the piston. You do not need to disconnect the parking brake or bleed the system. Make sure the piston notches are aligned up at the 12-3-6-9 o'clock position to match tabs on the back of your new pads. Tab must fit into notch on piston.

hth
-mike

GrimmJeeper said:
no shoes. pads.

rear discs require a special tool to release the paking brake.
http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-kd-3163.html

Do not push the piston in like on the front brakes. It must be screwed in (clockwise). Screw it in and compress the piston gently. That's why the piston has notches in it. You can get the tool at most parts stores or you can use a pair of channel locks if you are careful and don't scar the piston. You do not need to disconnect the parking brake or bleed the system. Make sure the piston notches are aligned up at the 12-3-6-9 o'clock position to match tabs on the back of your new pads. Tab must fit into notch on piston.

hth
-mike

WAY wrong information for the ford 8.8 emergency brake setup.

Back