• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Problem / Window Lockout

dfrissell

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have instructions for bypassing the window lockout button on a 2001 XJ. The three passenger windows will not work unless they are controlled by the driver's control panel.

my gf's got the smae issue on her 99
SOMEONE HELP US ....
:helpme:

drizzyboy said:
Instead of going through the trouble to bypass the switch why not just replace it? Tada!:wave1: Probably take less time too.

Apparently, you haven't looked into how much one of those stupid switches costs.....:scared:

Keep an eye on Ebay.... I've been collecting all my door lock actuators, window switches, and then main window/door switch; for the past year now. I've already replaced my drivers door lock, and the left rear one is acting blinky. I've got them all now except for the right reard door lock actuator. At least I'll have them ready when they finally do die.....

With any luck, you can pick them up on Ebay for between $10 - $20, depending on the switch. A lot better than the junk yards....

joshv98xj said:
Apparently, you haven't looked into how much one of those stupid switches costs.....:scared:

Not to mention the fact that over time, it will just malfunction in the same way that the orig. did....so that puts you back at square one.

I had the same problem with mine, so I just took the door panel off, removed the control box from the door, and took all the screws out of it. Then I undid all the tabs of the box and opened it up, you can only open it up slightly, I'm not sure why but when I put it all back together everything was 100% again.

I'm assuming that the lockout switch either wears out, or is just prone to gettting dirty. The buttons are the same style as the ones you'd see inside a remote control for your tv if I remember correctly. So they're no the most reliable.

dlarrivee said:
Personally I just like it when everything works the way it was intended to.

Half the fun of owning a Jeep is trying to figure out why crap isn't working right!

Just messin, I'd prefer it if it worked right too, but to me, it's not that big of a deal.

JeffU said:
Unless you still have Rug Rats, or are a control freak
who needs the window lock out ?

My bigger friends put the windows down unintentionally with their legs while driving. A bit annoying in winter on snowboarding trips. My switch fixes itself with banging on the door for now:)

So I finished bypassing the lockout switch and the windows work how they should, but now the door will not lock correctly after reinstalling the door panel. The door will not lock with keyless entry or with the key. Nothing appears to be bent. Is there something I had to reset in the locking mechanism before I put the panel back on? Any ideas?

You might have accidentally bumped the arm that goes from the lock switch on the door to the actual lock mechanism itself on accident. I did this on accident the first time I took my door panel off and wasn't paying close attention.

Unlock EVERYTHING with either the remote or the switch, take the door panel back off, and move the arm (by pushing it either to the left or pulling it to the right, which ever is the opposite of where it is now) and re-install the door pannel, taking care to not knock the lock handle out of position again.

If you get confused, take the passenger door pannel off and use it as a reference as to where the lock handle needs to be. I can't remember at the moment if the lock handle needs to be out or in for the unlocked position.....amazing seeing as how i can practicaly pop the door pannel off with my hands behind my back now.

i've got a 2000 XJ that the windows don't work in. all four of them will not move. i've got power going to the switch (the green lights are on), but when i move a switch all the green lights go out and nothing moves.
the power mirrors and locks do work though.

should i try the bypass or do you think its another problem?

Back