• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ cracked head...anyone not have the problem?

corywmower

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2000 XJ..build date of 11/99 and it has over 95,000 miles..I've been reading about the cracked heads on this years model...but mine seems ok..from what I've read I seem to be the exception to the rule, any one else out there without the crack?

Over 140K and no crack on my 2000XJ.....

'00, 110K, No problems.
Advice for all aluminum head engines. Long life?

DO!
NOT!
LET!
IT!
OVERHEAT!

Regular service of the cooling system. Don't let it get low. Don't run it overtemp. Even for just a "little bit". It'll be fine

New here.

Just bought my 2000XJ w/78,000 on her. No problems to report here regarding the head.

Was driving a 98 Grand Cherokee, I'm happy to say I like the XJ allot better!

tbburg said:
'00, 110K, No problems.

DO!
NOT!
LET!
IT!
OVERHEAT!

Regular service of the cooling system. Don't let it get low. Don't run it overtemp. Even for just a "little bit". It'll be fine

I never EVER came close to overheating mine and the head cracked. I drive pretty gentle as well.

113,000 on my 2000.

I have overheated it, many times in the past, and I'm sure I will in the future. Still no cracked head.

87XJPioneer said:
2000 XK with a 09/02/99 build date and over 115K miles. Head not cracked yet.

How did you determine that yours was built on the 2nd of september? Mine also has a 9/99 build date, but mines a 99 model year with the 0630 head...

99XJSPORT06 said:
How did you determine that yours was built on the 2nd of september? Mine also has a 9/99 build date, but mines a 99 model year with the 0630 head...
I bought the XJ from the son of the original owner. He was kind enough to give me the full service records with the purchase. Included were the original window sticker and build sheets. The build sheet has the date on it.

87XJPioneer said:
I bought the XJ from the son of the original owner. He was kind enough to give me the full service records with the purchase. Included were the original window sticker and build sheets. The build sheet has the date on it.
hmmm....I have a copy of the build sheet for mine that I got when I e-mailed DC....i'll have to dig it up and have a look.

Now that I think about it some more, on the sticker thats in the dor jam, I believe theres an MDH number, or Month Day Hour on there.....I used to know how to interpret all the codes on that sticker too....

edit: Not sure what I was smokin earlier today, but mine's actually got a build date of 4/99.....4/30/99 at 0800 ( so I guess that means my XJ's birthday was yesterday??? lol) to be exact (going by the MDH number on the sticker). Not sure how I got SEPTEMBER from APRIL....

I also pulled up the build sheet that DC e-mailed me and didn't see anything about a build date, unless the one you have that comes from the dealer has more info on it.

Last edited:
I just purchased a 2000 XJ with 97,000 miles. I am worried.

1. What are the symptoms of a cracked head?

2. How much does it cost to replace?

3. Is the problem that they started making it out of aluminium and it cracks if overheated?

4. If the head is not cracked yet, what extra maintenance should I have performed to prevent overheating?

5. If it needs to be replaced, is there an aftermarket non-aluminium head or earlier model head that should replace the aluminium head?

Reader said:
I just purchased a 2000 XJ with 97,000 miles. I am worried.

1. What are the symptoms of a cracked head?

2. How much does it cost to replace?

3. Is the problem that they started making it out of aluminium and it cracks if overheated?

4. If the head is not cracked yet, what extra maintenance should I have performed to prevent overheating?

5. If it needs to be replaced, is there an aftermarket non-aluminium head or earlier model head that should replace the aluminium head?

1. Biggest clues are loss of coolant, milkshake looking oil, and low low oil pressure. They generally crack in an area that can be seen when the oil cap is taken off and a flashlight is shined down inside...look towards the right if you're checking. However if your coolant level is still good, the oil looks and smells normal, and your pressure is good, you should be fine.

2. Depends on if you go the junkyard route, or buy from a company.

3. I believe it is, but don't quote me on that.

4. I would, as with any used vehicle, change all fluids. Start with doing a good coolant flush since you're concerned about it overheating. Depending on mileage, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put some new hoses on while you're at it, and a thermostat as well. Might as well do a complete full coolant system service, that way it's less for you to worry about. Search around, it's been covered numerous times on here as to where the best places to get the best quality parts at the best prices are (and believe it or not, in some cases, it's actually the dealership :scared:).

5. Also search around on here. I believe the 0630 heads (the ones that were used from 96(ish) and the heads before that (dont recall the casting number off the top of my head) bolt on with little to no modification.

99XJSPORT06 said:

Hey now that really interesting! I have a 2000 with a 7/99 build date! What do you guys make of that? I have a low pinion front axle I believe 99's had a high pinion? :confused:

tbburg said:
'00, 110K, No problems.

DO!
NOT!
LET!
IT!
OVERHEAT!

Do you have a HESCO head? I don't think Jeep put aluminum heads on the 4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XJSPORT06

Hey now that really interesting! I have a 2000 with a 7/99 build date! What do you guys make of that? I have a low pinion front axle I believe 99's had a high pinion? :confused:

Does anyone have the same issue?

miwico said:
I edited my thread later on that day, I dont know what I was smokin at the time but my build date is actually 4/99.....my bad:anon:

And Reader, your welcome :thumbup:

Back