• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting spare on hood. Legal?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious, I had the spare of my 76 Jeep DJ5 mounted on the hood and never got pulled over once. I even passed inspection with it twice with no problems.

Any input?

Legal, probably.

A good idea, not so much. Visibility? XJs have enough heating issues....they don't need a tire on the hood to compound the problems! And the gas mileage, same thing as putting it on the roof.

I imagine it would work well with skinny tires, so that you can still see the road. And also I think that XJ hoods would need some kind of cross brace since the hood is fairly weak.
I have a picture in my head for it but don't know how to put it in words....
Would the hood latch still work the same way though? Wouldn't the weight of the tire just close it again when you unlatch it?

^Was looking to see if anyone has heard of anyone being busted for it. Or if anyone knows anyone has done it.

My DJ had a latching hood and didnt have any support problems with the spare.

Last edited:
Assuming you don't find a stock swing out tire carrier at the JY how were you thinking of mounting it?

Why is there no cool stuff on the XJs in JYs around here :rattle:

^I think all the cool stuff was shipped down south to Hampton VA.

I was going to drill two holes in the hood with a 1/4inch steel plate to sandwich the hood inbetween. Run two 1/2inch bolts through the plate/ hood/ and then through the stud holes in the rim, capped it off with with another plate and pad lock.

heres pics for those who care.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hood mounting the spare seems like a bad idea, for all the reasons listed previously. Just do a roof rack mount or a rear swing-away.

There are only a handful of vehicles that came with the option of mounting a spare on top of the hood (Early Jeep, Land Cruisers, Land Rovers to mention the most usual). If it wasn't already obviouse, all of these vehicles have very tall/verticle windshields and flat/low hoods. With these vehicles with a spare on the hood you still have "reasonable" visibility. Have you tried to put a spare on your XJ and still see anything (don't think so, because you wouldn't be asking the question; ).

Not happening on a XJ.

Michael

2xtreme said:
There are only a handful of vehicles that came with the option of mounting a spare on top of the hood (Early Jeep, Land Cruisers, Land Rovers to mention the most usual). If it wasn't already obviouse, all of these vehicles have very tall/verticle windshields and flat/low hoods. With these vehicles with a spare on the hood you still have "reasonable" visibility. Have you tried to put a spare on your XJ and still see anything (don't think so, because you wouldn't be asking the question; ).

Not happening on a XJ.

Michael

I take it you've tried huh? I haven't, but can't imagine that the visibility would be so good....even with a stock 235.

88-xj-laredo said:
I'd like to see it done before completely dumping the idea.

If I'm feeling strong tonight when I get home I'll see how a 32" tire and a 35" tire look on the hood of an XJ.....

mjma said:
If I'm feeling strong tonight when I get home I'll see how a 32" tire and a 35" tire look on the hood of an XJ.....

just for giggles i tossed my 31x10.50. I'm 6'2" and can barely see. sure wouldn't want to drive in traffic like this. around the orchard is tough enough. if you were vertically challenged you likely would not be able to see anything.

looks cool though.

Back