• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS removal help asap!!

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok Ive read the guide, and have my nss most of the way off, but I cant quite get it off. I tried threading the nut back on and using that, but now it's stripping so I can't pry on it anymore. Am I missing something? Should it be in a particular gear? Any suggestions before my lunch break is over?

EDIT: Got it. What a sonofabitch.

Last edited:
Yeah it can be a real bugger to get off....one of those things you have to play with, and make sure you're saying the right words and have the right expression on your face :D

Ok I took it off, cleaned it, hit it with white lithium, and put it back together. 2 days later I try to start the jeep, nothing. I thought the switch might be loose. I wiggle it, yup it was. Put it back in position... still nothing. No overhead light or power locks either. Must have drained the battery?

So I get a jump, running fine for the day. Get home, unhook battery just in case. Next morning, hook the battery up, same thing. No lights, no power to anything. Wiggle the NSS, and tried it in neutral and it started.

Could the NSS being between positions drain the battery? And as far as day 2 Im thinking my batt cables might need replacing.

I dont think it would drain the battery, and I have a very hard time believing that it would cause your dome lights and such to not come on.

If you're not getting any response from your electrical system when you try to start it (no lights, no guages or instrument panel lights...etc etc) then my money is on a lose/dirty ground, or badly corroded battery cables. Bad battery cables will do some screwy stuff with the electrical system of a vehicle if they get corroded enough on the insides.

I wouldn't rule out the ignition switch either- I don't see how it would give you no lights, but it could run the battery down and cause intermittant no-starts.

it doesn't hurt to check (especially cuz I'm not the one doing it)

--Shorty

The problem hasn't reappeared, so Im betting on my battery cables. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back