• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Question!

MidlandXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi! My 89 XJ is making me wonder a bit. For some reason when I turn on my heater there is a large drain on the charging system, it goes from 12v to just about 9v on the dash guage. But not with the light or the radio. Also no matter where I slide the control I only have the windshield defrost setting. I changed the whole assembly to no avail. Has anyone have an idea on what to do?

Yeah man, Im kinda in the same boat as you. If i turn my heat on high, it seems to drain alot of power on the battery guage. Im also running 4 130 watt light, 2 hellas, 2 12" subs. and using a 100+ amp alt (its the heavy duty one from napa, not sure on amps) more than likely its your Alt. Iv been through about 4 alts in the past year and this one seems to be able to put up with what i throw at it. i would suggest upgrading to a higher alt.

MidlandXJ said:
Hi! My 89 XJ is making me wonder a bit. For some reason when I turn on my heater there is a large drain on the charging system, it goes from 12v to just about 9v on the dash guage. But not with the light or the radio. Also no matter where I slide the control I only have the windshield defrost setting. I changed the whole assembly to no avail. Has anyone have an idea on what to do?

HI,

The volt meter on the renix dash is more of a voltage remaining in the circut. On my '88 the needle behaves about the same. It is the fan drawing more current. With the control only going to defrost, you my friend have a vaccum problem. defrost is the "failsafe" postion for the climet control settings. Look at where the vaccum line goes through the fire wall. And check all the hard lines for vaccum.

I hope this helps,

Pigpen

There should be no draw on the electrical system with the control on "vent". The draw is from the blower. With vent on it should flow outside air flow over the coil even with the blower turned off, BUT yes, the default setting is for defrost air only and it's controlled by vacuum. Check the vac lines on the passenger side running along the top of the wheel well and under the battery for leaks, cracks caused by corrosion (battery acid eats 'em). Fixing those leaks has done the trick on my XJ and former MJ.

thanks, i'll look into that in the next few days. Depends on the weather and how the boss says i can use my time. Plus it's starting to rain. and i have to go to my neibours to pull parts off his scrap xl's

Back