• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

poor ground?

I would say that you are picking up the noise off of the blinker and it is being heard through your stereo speakers. IMO this would be caused by a short between the two systems. I would check you wiring on both systems to make sure that both systems are isolated from each other...

Could be a ground, electricity will find the best route and then the next best route. Check the sockets and grounds in the back tail lights and then go from there.

Corrosion, Rust, Dirt in the sockets, connectors, switch and blinker unit, as well the wiring itself.

Radio waves are made by running electricity thru a wire (antenna). If the current changes in a way to create a signal, the signal is transmitted thru the air as radio waves.

Something has changed in your blinker circuit that instead of current switching on and off completly, it is now switching on and off with a ripple effect and creating radio waves the radio will pick up. You can't see the unsteady current that is rippling down the wire in the light bulb, but you can hear it on the radio.

Check and clean up all the stuff in the electrical circuit, maybe a new blinker unit will fix it. As mentioned, corroded or damaged grounds can do the same thing.

How bad is the noise over the radio, this is very much one of the things you can live with.

As well, most of the 80's on OEM Radios and all the after market radios were built to be very sensitive to tune in distant stations. I'll listen to WABC (NYC) all the way down in Southern Maryland, the tuner in the radio turns its sensitivity up to max to get that distant station in and when listening to the station I will also pick up noise from my turn signals, heater/vent fan at max, power lines along the road and even micro-wave ovens at fast food places I drive by. In cases of tuning in distant stations with the tuner at max sensitivity its not the electric systems making to much radio noise, its your radio tuner set to such a high sensitivity it is picking up the slightest noise out there.

yes i can live with it. i noticed that when i did a tune up. the noise was not as noticeable. maybe i will clean some of the mud out of the electrical circuit. thanks for the help all.

If you use the wrong Spark Plugs or Ignition Cables or have a lot of corrosion on the coil tower conductor, you can get the ignition growl over the radio.

It strange a tune up would trigger the turn signal being picked up by the radio.

I'd pull the bulbs from the turn signals, check those sockets. They get water and dirt in them and can corrode really bad, that would cause the unsteady conduction and thus a ripple of current that creates radio waves for the radio to pick up.

just go to radio shack and buy a "noise filter" it goes in line w your hot and ground wires to the radio.... youve probably got a bad ground yes finding it is another story

Antenna wire could have shifted too close to the harness, proximity with poor shielding will do exactly that, and the antenna wire has a good deal of play in it. The noise filter on the coax line is a good start, it might take out a good deal of the RF interference. Poor grounding is also a good source, but either way unless the wires are close that should not happen, so see if the coax got too close or burried in the harness, frayed wire mesh portion of the coax perhaps?

Back