• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Put the XJ in a truck show this weekend

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
Some of you might have seen this thing at the Englishtown swap meet this weekend...anyway...

Woke up early on Saturday, gave the XJ a quick bath, and drove it out and entered it in the car/truck show.

DSC01746.JPG

DSC01747.JPG

DSC01748.JPG

DSC01749.JPG

DSC01750.JPG

DSC01751.JPG

My friend had a vendor spot so we ended up camping there overnight. There were a bunch of cool truck guys in the area so naturally we had to play on stuff...I couldn't do much since the front shafts are pulled right now, but I got a little bit twisted up.

DSC01752.JPG

DSC01753.JPG

I've got about 110 miles on it since last weekend. Not a single problem. I had it at about 50-60 mph the whole way out to Englishtown, 4th gear, 2300 RPM or so, and it drives just fine. So far I've passed or been next to 8 cops and haven't had any problems...we'll see how long that lasts.

hey man i was there all day today looking at that thing, i was looking for whoever owns it but no one said it was them... if you saw me i was in a red hoodie with two other kids, i came by like 4-5 times. that thing is AWESOME man. inspired me to cut the rear fenders [ive got tons of diamond steel]

man, wish i woulda seen you there...

great rig man, what were those? dana 60s or 70s? i thought 60 but i could be wrong...

and do you get any uptravel in that rear with those bumpstops?

rocklandxjer said:
hey man i was there all day today looking at that thing, i was looking for whoever owns it but no one said it was them... if you saw me i was in a red hoodie with two other kids, i came by like 4-5 times. that thing is AWESOME man. inspired me to cut the rear fenders [ive got tons of diamond steel]

man, wish i woulda seen you there...

great rig man, what were those? dana 60s or 70s? i thought 60 but i could be wrong...

and do you get any uptravel in that rear with those bumpstops?

:laugh:

Dana 60 front (from a Dodge) and 14-bolt rear.

Those rear bumpstops are little helper springs from Timbren...they're progressive rate rubber stops that go down to about half their free height when fully compressed. I've only got a few inches of uptravel on all corners anyway, but if you look at the pic of me twisted up on the stack of tires, you can see where I've got the uptravel limited.

If you were looking at it that closely, then you probably also noticed the busted driver's side rear bumpstop. That happened last weekend at Rausch Creek and I haven't fixed it yet. Oh well. :roll:

I was stoppin by the rig every now and then, so I might have seen ya walkin past. I ended up buying a new 5-point harness that matches the one I've got (for the passenger seat)...new in box, never installed, for $20. That was all I was looking for the whole weekend and I found it within 5 minutes of walking around. :)

yeap, noticed the broken stop, and i figured they compressed, not like you need all that much anyway, looks fine on the tires.

yea, last year they had some better jeep stuff... there was like nothing this weekend besides quadratec...

still, i scored two spare full size tires with 75% tread for 50 bucks. and a set of thule rack rails for my roof rack for 10 bucks. couple of other things too. man i love those swap meets lol.

who made your cage, it looks awesome

rocklandxjer said:
yeap, noticed the broken stop, and i figured they compressed, not like you need all that much anyway, looks fine on the tires.

yea, last year they had some better jeep stuff... there was like nothing this weekend besides quadratec...

still, i scored two spare full size tires with 75% tread for 50 bucks. and a set of thule rack rails for my roof rack for 10 bucks. couple of other things too. man i love those swap meets lol.

who made your cage, it looks awesome

The guy at the Quadratec booth with the comp rig (UROC #872 stock mod) is actually a pretty good friend of mine, I've done a bunch of photo and video work for his team in the past. They just picked up Quadratec as a sponsor this year, and obviously a lot of the stuff on that jeep isn't "jeep" anymore, but Q'tec is paying for all their travel and comp expenses, so that ain't a bad deal.

Last year was even worse, I couldn't find any sort of axles or t-cases that I needed. This year I saw at least 4 AX15's for sale, a few NP205 cases, and a whole bunch of 33-36" tires. Oh well.

I did the cage...as well as pretty much everything else on the rig. A buddy of mine came down to help hold tube in place while I did the bending but it was my first attempt at any sort of tube work.

bend6.JPG

It's the first one I've done so I can point out plenty of things that could have been done better...chalk it up to experience and make the next one that much more badass. :)

yea, looked great. good job.

i was checking those comp jeeps out, the custom axles [60s?], those things were great.

i figured that thing belonged on here... just knew it. i was going to start a thread about it, to see if it was. but then i just saw this heh heh.

TIRES were all over the place, tons of them. and yea, trannys too [too bad i dont need any huh... always when you dont need em...]

Back