• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB questions?

javik

NAXJA Forum User
I have an arb and i have no idea where the manual went and i searched and could not find this stuff out, so please be patient

with there normal compressor how long should the time be between cycles because mine initially was around 45 and now is down to around 20, WHen should i be concerned

I also noticed that there was some oil spitting from the compressor and some said that that was generally due to either the breather being cloged or a faulty instalation?

How can i check if the breather is cloged, and on an 8.25 what should i be looking for in regards to a faulty instalation? Does anybody have any pics of their 8.25 with the cover off and the scored race? that i read something about.

oil coming from the compressor might be a gasket, call arb they are very good about helping people, my compressor cycles about every 2 min after i changed the gasket

i thought that it was bad if the compressor was short cycling, ie coming on every couple of minutes

first check the breather tube for any blockages or kinks etc
If its ok you may have a faulty "o" ring in the carrier assembly. There are 2 "o" rings that seperate the air & oil. If the "o" rings get rolled on installation or damaged in anyway then you may get oil coming up the air line. Then every time you switch the locker off & it discharges pressure, you will get an oil mist coming out coming out of the blowoff valve on the compressor.
I have heard of some people having this problem for years without fixing it.... guess it depends how bad it is.
My unit was doing it a little but a restricted breather line was the cause.

I have the ARB mini compressor and it cycles maybe every 15-20 minutes if the locker is continually on.

which one is the breather tube? And what would be the minimum considered time between compressor cycles that would be ok? I get 15-20 regardless if the locker is on or not now, but at what point do i have to worry about it burning out? 5 min?

javik said:
I have an arb and i have no idea where the manual went and i searched and could not find this stuff out, so please be patient

with there normal compressor how long should the time be between cycles because mine initially was around 45 and now is down to around 20, WHen should i be concerned

I also noticed that there was some oil spitting from the compressor and some said that that was generally due to either the breather being cloged or a faulty instalation?

How can i check if the breather is cloged, and on an 8.25 what should i be looking for in regards to a faulty instalation? Does anybody have any pics of their 8.25 with the cover off and the scored race? that i read something about.

Oil discharging from the solenoids at the compressor almost always means your o-rings on the arb are leaking.
Its is a pain in the butt to fix, but the orings are cheap. Mine leaked for a couple years, then I went to a bigger axle, I never did fix it. IIRC ARB doesn't consider the leakdown and recycle of the compressor a problem until it happens in less than 10 min.

The oil spurting from the solenoid vent is generally caused by worn or incorrectly installed "O" rings on the air collar. My rear has been doing that for about a year now; been installed for over 10 years. Since my compressor rarely cycles while the ARB's are engaged, I'm not inclined to worry about the "O" rings.
With the compressor on, but no lockers engaged, my compressor doesn't cycle at any meaningful time interval--meaning, not while I'm arround to here it. I've turned it off, leaving it under pressure, overnight, before noticing a loss of pressure. If it were cycling more often than once every 1hr I'd spend time looking for a leak at the compressor. Use a little joy in a small pan of water, and a small paint brush to apply the mixture to all fittings, and to the air resivoir center bolt and main "O" ring; any bubbles equal leak.

Back