• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring fog lights

BigPoppaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok i got a question, being as this is my first time wiring fog lights. im puttin a set of 100 watt kc lights on my roof. and i bought them used with no harness or anything. im wondering what gauge wire i will need and about how many feet will be needed to go froom the roof. also im guessing a 30 amp relay will be good too. and anyone have a good set of directions for a newbie to wiring. ive seen some websites out there but just wondering if u guys had one. im probably gonna go with 12 guage wire. but didnt know if thats good. also gonna wire up 2 55 watt cheap lights under my rear bumper on on top of jeep same questions with that set up wire and length. thanks

nick

This topic is very searchable and there are many many pictues on this forum along with some nice directions and some tips for easy and clean installations.

i wouldnt go smaller than 10g wire, dont forget about voltage drop. the longer the wire the thicker it needs to be. you should be fine with the 30 amp relay, but running 12g all the way up to the roof you wont be getting the full voltage to your lights. yes they will work, no they wont be as bright as they could be.

-mike

Wattage / voltage = amperage. Amps is most important. That's what'll melt your wires if you go too small. 55w / 12v = 4.58 amps. 12 gauge would be fine.

Hella makes a fused relay, spade fuse built into the side of the relay that you can replace as needed. Whatever you use put that fuse as close to the power source as you can, you don't want high current running thru the firewall if it shorts out, by keeping the fuse close to the supply it will protect the whole wire.

i had searched yahoo, which came up with little help, i will be checkin out 4x4wire.com later for some more info. and i have searched this site, probably not that well. the only reason i was gonna go with 12 gauge wire was since that was the highest gauge wire they had at radioshack at the time and wanted to get this done this week. i found this wiring harness on jcwhitney.com and probably will be ordering it this week since it will cost the same http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...Id-100000183874/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000183874
it should be enough for what im doing and will probably wire up my back up lights without a kit another day.

your gonna want an inline fuse to its pretty simple whence you find directions the only issue i had was getting the wires from the outside to in the side of the jeep

I've got a wiring harness for some Hella 500's I just bought. I cheated and used my old fog lamp wires to rig it so I have this harness with a switch, relay, and fuse. PM me if you interested in getting it from me, I'll take 10 bucks or so for it.

just ordered the kit from jcwhitney. and should be enough wire to either go back to the hatch and through the jeep or go straight to the passenger door down into the pillar into leg compartment. im gonna check radio shack for that inline fuse if it doesnt come with one, otherwise where else would i be able to get one?

Back