• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a small issue, but annoying

radardog

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys, i have an 87 XJ , and my problem is NONE of the dash lights work.
no back lighting, and none of the "dummy" lights ever turn on(i thought some were supposed to turn on when you start the thing)

my guages all work, and the turn signal indicators flash on the dash.. and i think i have the hi beam light too, but nothing else.

i have pulled the cluster out and cleaned all contacts, checked all bulbs, and checked all the fuses, and nothing seems to be at fault.

any ideas? if you need more info just ask

The dash dimmer part of the headlight switch is probably bad(when you twist the knob the lights should be bright or dark). You need to replace the whole switch.

My 90's dash lights only work with the knob twisted all the way to the left.

oh yeah, I forgot to say that I tried twisting the dimmer swtich... a lot.. tried twisting it, and jiggling it around and combinations of the two.

so I will give that a shot.

any others want to take a stab at this?

x2 on the headlight switch...if i jiggle it around I'll get the dash lights to work...stupid question but did you check all of the bulbs? sometimes you can't see the forest for all the trees. if you've never done it before, there is a button on the top of the head light switch you have to press to remove both the knob AND the shaft it's attached to. you have to reach up under the dash kinda like when you disconnected the speedo cable. if I remember right you have to turn the headlights on first. hth

Do your tail lights work?

Tail lights and dash lights are usually on the same circuit so that you know when that fuse goes (or that circuit is affected). Turn on your lights and see if the tail lights are on, if not, replace the fuse.

ParadiseXJ said:
Do your tail lights work?

Tail lights and dash lights are usually on the same circuit so that you know when that fuse goes (or that circuit is affected). Turn on your lights and see if the tail lights are on, if not, replace the fuse.

yes, all lights except for the dash ligths work. i went through a month agao and put all new brake, tail, signal, and corner marker lights in and they all work nicely.

already checked all fuses, and bulbs in the dash, and everything points toward good to go... just no worky...

and on the dash the hi bean indicator, and turn indicators work, just nothing else.

lets see i dont have any dome lights installed, and no radio installed either not that those would cause any issued i wouldnt think.

x2,x2,x2^
headlamp switch works, but the variable resistor for the dash is bad- can sometimes clean it and restore opperation, but at about $20.00 I'd change it just for peace of mind.
--Shorty

Back