• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifter handle?

imbthree

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered a new shifter bezel but can't figure out how to remove the handle to take the old one off and put the new one on. Thanks for any help. -Shaun

Blaine B. said:
Push bolts seats forward and sit in the back. Make sure not to hit self in jaw with arms.

x2!

Or just slide the shifter all the way back to 1-2, and haul on it. It's important not to stand over it and pull straight up... I busted the windshield on a parts XJ, and sliced up my elbow on the smashed windshield of a junkyard XJ.

Yes, I am an idiot. I'd wear my sign, but it's still in the mail, even though I paid extra for rush shipping!

:D

when i pulled mine off the first time i busted my lip and got a nice laugh outta the wife, then a oh my god your bleeding scream

lol

I have two Shifters from Flameball.com one on the transfer case and one on the transmission. I got the ones with the lights in them. Very nice looking, they just glow without shining light all over the place. Feel very nice in the hand, solid. Plus, they don't get really cold in winter or smoking hot in summer, like the Hurst T handle i used to have.

If you go and buy a thread Gauge from an auot store, (The ones that cost $2.00 are just fine) you can get the matching thread adapter. Perfect Fit.

Of course for the T-case, you gotta cut of the stick at the bend and then run a tap over it.

WELL worth the minimal effort in my opinion. I love it.

On a side note, not really related at all..... uh th inside of your windshield is coated with plastic film or something. When sparks from a grinder hit it, they melt into the windshield.

... Yeah. so, uh, when grinding inside, don't just cover your dash. cover the windshield too.

jesterbomb said:
On a side note, not really related at all..... uh th inside of your windshield is coated with plastic film or something. When sparks from a grinder hit it, they melt into the windshield.

... Yeah. so, uh, when grinding inside, don't just cover your dash. cover the windshield too.

its not a film, the glass melts when anything red hot hits it. if you want to spend some time you can polish those marks out just start at 1000 grit sand paper and get finer and finer with some glass polishing compound you can fix it, it just takes a long time.

Thankfully it seems that i only sprayed the Windshield and not the side windows. Since my windshield is easily the the most dangerous/broken thing on my Heep, I'm gonna replace it. It is so smashed... and all the pits from highway driving make it just crazy glare at dawn/dusk.

Anyone ever ask the OP whether he was asking about an auto or manual before they started going off-topic?

Auto - Shift into 1-2, crawl into the backseat and pull up and back. Pops right off, there is no thread involved.

Manual - IIRC from my '89, there's a jam-nut under the handle itself. Loosen that, then spin the handle off.

I took the risky chance of pulling it off from the passenger seat when in park. No problems...

After you do it once it's alot easier.

Just tap it on with a rubber mallet or the bottom of your fist. Otherwise you won't depress the rod inside enough to shift if the handle isn't seated all of the way.

Back