• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Question on Lifting

Markvic

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to XJ and and offroading, I know it is always better to spend the money a by the good stuff once, then to fix with the cheaper stuff later. I was looking into Rubicon Express's 3.5 super flex kit. I was wondering what the forum thanks of the kit. And is 3.5 inch lift enough for trailing ( I know that is a stupid question becuase how are you guys suposesed to know where i go trailing at) I am affrad of spending this money on this 720 dollar flex kit to find out 3.5 will not do anything for me on the trail. This XJ is not my daily driver, I bought just for off roading . Thank you

Markvic said:
I am new to XJ and and offroading, I know it is always better to spend the money a by the good stuff once, then to fix with the cheaper stuff later. I was looking into Rubicon Express's 3.5 super flex kit. I was wondering what the forum thanks of the kit. And is 3.5 inch lift enough for trailing ( I know that is a stupid question becuase how are you guys suposesed to know where i go trailing at) I am affrad of spending this money on this 720 dollar flex kit to find out 3.5 will not do anything for me on the trail. This XJ is not my daily driver, I bought just for off roading . Thank you

You could always describe what type of terrain you mostly go on. In general though any lift is better than none in my opinion.

I have this same kit on 2 jeeps. its a nice kit... but it WILL give you more then the lift advertised... so be prepared (possibly a sye)

if you ever do deceide you want more lift, im sure you could sell your older lift to recoup some of your loses... but the 3.5" kit is definately respected
gonna install it yourself?

edit: found a good link on the re3.5 installation blues

Last edited:
I also have that lift on my '94 XJ. I've had it on for just over a year and LOVE it!

As menioned, it does give you more than the advertised lift; I was close to 5" higher after the install. It's now dropped to a touch over 4" of lift. I went with the full spring packs, as I have had bad experiences with AAL's in the past. I also added the adjustable Track Bar to center the front axle.

With hindsight, I wish I had also upgraded to adjustable control arms, as they give the option of adding more lift later without having to buy new arms.

In most cases you will need a SYE after the lift. If you won't be driving on the streets, though, you may not mind some vibrations. Other than that, the kit is pretty complete with everything you need to go wheeling after the installation.

with 3.5" lift you shouldnt need a SYE...mabye and inch of tcase drop...not a big deal in the mud...31's would fit nice...not wide ones though...IIRC my buddy had 31x12.5R15 Procomps on a 3.5" Procomp lift that rubbed all over...we later added a BB to his lift and a RE track bar, worked great for a DD mud and trail truck with 33's on it

Thanks for the info, Yes I am going to install myself, I figure I have my fathers garage full of tools and a buddy to help install. I was mostly worried that I have acouple buddies with full size rides one is a 90's bronco with 6inch lift and other is a K5 blazer . I just wanted to be able to pick up with them. I am going to go with full leaf pack. I was reading on this forum and mostly poeple said that it is worth it to buy instead of AAL.

Back