• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone near Mobile, Alabama?

Kudzu and Kevin are from Alabama. Not sure where though.

Not that I know of...We are from North AL between Gadsden and Rome, GA on US411...About 4 or 5 hours from Mobile...

any trails

I live in Gadsden and have a bone stock 98 xj. I have some other friends who have Jeep's and on occasion we all go out looking for trails that we can go on legally. Kudzu, since you are so close I was just wondering if you know of any trails around that mostly stock Jeep's could go on. Thanks

Nope....not on the legal side....Wse travel to ride a tough one but we do...I have a friend who lives down in Gadsden...they ride an area caled Jeep Hill and but with my schdule I have not had time to go down and ride with them...After Oct. I am going to get more involved in the local stuff and get something together...

dang

Jeep Hill USED to be a great place to ride until the owners of the land decided to shut it down. Now the Gadsden PD have 4-wheelers just to patrol the trails all around Jeep Hill and give tickets to anyone they catch but thanks for the help anyways.

not legal but not patrolled either..

is the "Piney Woods" Webster's Chapel..

the land is owned by a timber co., rds are mostly gated & locked, but there are bypasses for some & the trails are winding & seemingly endless, logging rds, for the most part, w/ a neverending view of thick stands of pine trees..

during hunting season the land is leased & it probly wouldn't be a good idea to venture onto the property during that time...

most of the trails are 2wd passable, yet there are a few locations that can test most any 4wd, long deep rutted mud-pits & treacherous hill climbs...

hollar @ me sometime i'll take you out there & show you around..

its been a while since me & my kiddos went riding out there, but we like it since its purdy close to the hse..

Sounds good to me, it might be a while before we can do this though because I go to UA in Tuscaloosa and it will probably be a while before I come back to Gadsden but when I do I will give ya a holla.

UA T:eek:

jk..

aight den holla..

out

Bama Wheelin

You guys familiar with CAOS?? Central Alabama Offroad Society?? There really isn't any LEGAL PUBLIC land to ride on in Alabama. But CAOS has some land, and is working closely with land owner north of Bham, near Gardendale. Place called Gray Rock OHV Park. You have to pay to ride, but the trails are Great!
Hope this helps,
Andy

ummm, yeah

Caos..

& Grey Rock heard of both don't know much bout either..

some guys i know went to grey rock back in the spring of this yr..

& they said it was way to wet & had to winch alot (ALOT!!)

& one of the guys had ARB frnt & rear diffs & 33s other rear locked & 33s but that was in the wet season just after the wettest winter that i can remember...

FYI (anyone interested) i've recently foundout that *near* Gadsden (Gallant) theres an area known locally as "ROCK BRIDGE" that the land owner allows people to ride,

have Not yet been able to check it out, don't know how many trails (length) there are or conditions (obstacles/challenging or not)

but as soon as i do i'll post back w/ some more info & maybe even pics..

Thanks for the info JLane, I should be coming back to Gadsden in about 3 weekends (probably Oct 3rd) so if you have time and want to, maybe we could get together and check out this Rock Bridge place.

Cool, I currently reside in Tuscaloosa, we should definitely meet up because I have been looking for somewhere to ride around here since last year.

mrfoo said:
Cool, I currently reside in Tuscaloosa, we should definitely meet up because I have been looking for somewhere to ride around here since last year.

Yeh, I'm in Northport....and have been itching to ride since selling my Samurai last year! Guess I'll have to wait til I get one of these family wagon Heeps:D
In case anyone is interested....here is the CAOS BBS, they have regular rides, and it's a pretty active board, check it out! They are good people. http://caos4x4.com/forums/
Later
feingold1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
FYI

went to that "Rock Bridge" place 2 wks ago on a Sat. morning..

its NOT a place that i would recommend going to...

it consists of one main rd (sorta rutted & bumpy in some places) that is about 2 miles+/- long (from the end of the pavement to a dead end) & is 2wd accessable..
off the main rd i think i counted 4 or 5 side trails of which 2 of which were accessable to a Jeep sized vehicle the others were to Narrow (looked as though ATVs had been using them)

the main rd right before its end had a creek x-ing (@ the time was only about 10" deep) the creek has a rocky solid botttom..

one of the side trails shortly after leaving the main rd had a fork the left fork goes to the "Rock Bridge" a land formation that the creek branch goes underneath @ the "Rock Bridge" the trail dead ends..
the right split goes through a fairly deep 30' long nasty a$$ mud hole that apparently is frequented by large spinning mudders then shortly after the slop pit theres another creek X-ing slightly deeper than the before mentioned about 24" deep, across the creek the trail goes on but is shortly to narrow (overgrown w/ trees & bushes) to anyting besides an ATV..

i didn't checkout any of the other trails since i was riding alone & had things to do later that day, but from the main rd it didn't appear that any of the other were anything more than small fourwheeler trails...

oh well it was worth a try..
:rolleyes:

I had a friend who said he also heard about that place and checked it out about the same time you did actually. He basically said the same thing you did about it. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully someone will find somewhere around Gadsden to ride for whenever I am in town. Good luck on finding anything.

-Daniel

I know all about CAOS I have road with them several times over th epast 4 years...Have nto made it to Gray Rock..yet the $50 per weekend to ride has kept me out for the momnet no time to take a weekend and can't afford to pay that for one day...

They have a ride coming up in Oct.

I talk with Scott Wilson a lot ...

Heather

Being a non local, and residing in Alabama, I'm going to make a couple observations..... Do Not Take offense... we are all on the same team...
Riding alone is one of the first things you should learn to never do if you spend any time around organized fourwheeling. That is the quickest way to spend a night in the woods. Sometimes we take our, or our vehicles capabilities for granted. Enough said.
Also, at this time, I'm unaware of ANY land open for public use for fourwheeling in the state of Alabama. And, the Southern Fourwheel Drive Association is a very young organization, trying very hard to promote our sport, and get, keep, maintain trails in nearby states. I think it would be very smart to help support any private land owner that takes the interest to work with us fourwheelers. I guess I'd rather pay $50 than not ride at all.
Ok, now I know I don't know you guys that well, so let me give you some backround. I started wheeling in SoCal around 1989 with my '88 Samurai. I just sold that same Samurai this past year. I've wheeled around SoCal, NorCal, Moab, Maine, Western Maryland, TN, and Bama. I've got some experience with the Cal Assoc. of 4wheel drive clubs, the Northeast version of the same, and the Southern version. AND, I've wheeled one day in someone elses XJ with 31's, 3inch lift, and locker. That was a very big reason why I am persuing an XJ as my next 4wheeler.
Now, this was not meant to Piss anyone off.....just to encourage you guys to get organized, get involved, and support the sport in any way that you can:D
Scott is a good guy....ask him about the time my Samurai was pulled out of the woods on the end of his tow strap!:(
Fire away................. :eek:

No firing or Flaming...I will just give you a little background on why I say can't afford it right now...Have made trips to Indiana, and PA spent a week in Tellico and leaving Oct3 for Moab and be back onthe 13th...Kevin and I have also been the ones doing the majority of the work on the Give-Away XJ and just put new lift and tires on our rig...

SO maybe next year I can play like I have in the past...riding somewhere every month....I would like to get a 4x4 show together in Gadsden early next year..any of you guys up to helping out with that...

Also I think $50 for a weekend is fine...I have paid more and have paid less...just depends on how well I liked the ride as to weather I will go again...

Back