• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Long Arm Kit??

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
I am fairly proficient in welding and i am never afraid to make something myself. does any one out there have the specs on how to make a long arm kit for about a 4-5 inch lift?? I figure if I just order Heim joints, and buy the right tubing that i could make them myself. any help or advice would be appreciated. maybe some pics and specs on making a full front and rear long arm suspension.

There are several write ups and links if you search. Here are a few http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1547604

I will suggest that you'd be better off using flex joints like a Jonny Joint or RE flex joint. These are serviceable joints, and by the time you pay for a good enough quality, large heim (1"+), you could probably have bought 2 good rebuildable flex joints.

As far as the arms, there are many options, but you basically have to choose between 3 link, 4 link, or radius arms in the front. Each has it's advantages and dis-advantages. Example: Radius arms are the easiest to make and setup, so they are the most common, but not the best due to caster changes and unloading. Triangulated 3/4 links are the most common in the rear because they eliminate the need for a panhard bar, unfortunatley they interfere with the oil pan, so they can't be used in front.

I'd go into more for you, but I have to go load the XJ for a weekend of wheelin' :)

Good luck, and post up once you get it done! Lots of pics :)

i would point out that its allmost a 2 year old thread, but it seems you know! maybe a pm would get his attention... not that hes been around in 5+ months...

Back