• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is value of Ballast resistor?

Disconnect the wires from the resistor and Jumper the wires together and if your jeep runs then the ballast resister is bad.....the only reason the resistor is there in the first place is to cut down on fuel pump noise and no other reason.

Sorry, I did not make it clear. The starter turns the engine over. The fuel pump is NOT running. Did you understand the comments regarding voltage??

1.3 OHMS is what it reads. What is up with measuring 6.6 volts from each outer wire to the center wire? I cannot see 12V at the wires that connect to the pump. IS THIS NORMAL..??

outlander said:
btw those resistors rarely go bad so I suspect you have other problems....

Thats not a good statement, chrysler ballast resistors seem to age and generally one leg of it opens which doubles the resistance, the dodges were two resistors in parellel embedded in that ceramic block, results in a 'almost start but not quite' condition. I carried 2 spares in my dodge after spending 5 hours troubleshooting one of those 'almost but not quite start' issues on a sunday at the beach at seaside heights NJ. It did it again a year later but that time I was prepared.

Bill-93XJ said:
1.3 OHMS is what it reads. What is up with measuring 6.6 volts from each outer wire to the center wire? I cannot see 12V at the wires that connect to the pump. IS THIS NORMAL..??
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The ballast resistor is bypassed during start (cranking). So it should have no affect on the voltage (during start), but maybe the ballast resistor bypass relay isn't closing and bypassing the ballast resistor during start, like it should. Reading some residual voltage in the wires is a fairly normal occurrence, but most times the amperage is near zero. A volt meter only tells you if voltage is there, not how much current is flowing.

From the 93 FSM: "On XJ body, disconnect ballast resistor. Using an external
ohmmeter, check resistance of ballast resistor. If resistance is more
than 5 ohms, replace ballast resistor."

Do you hear your fuel pump relay click when you turn on the ign?

Back