• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling ALL Add-A-Leafers!

JeepXJsport12

NAXJA Forum User
If you have installed AAL's to your truck i need your input.

How long has the AAL's been on your truck and how have they held up?
What was your rear sagging situation before adding the AAL's?
What would happen if I add RE full length AAL's to my sagging 01 XJ?
What do you recommend?

buy new packs, i went through 3 sets of aal's in a year....they were all teh long type.

Bastard packs

I have had every kind of set up. Short AAl Long AAL. Replaced my old pack and used new AAL. Everyone sags at some point. Long takes a little longer, but they will sag. I just now broke down and bought some RE full leaf packs. I Know Pro Comp has a pair of 3.5" packs for $189 if you have that to spend. Or go RE and spend $300 like I did. Sorry I probably didn't answer your question, but if I knew then what I know now I'd just break down save and get full leaf packs. E-bay !

BRIANHO13 said:
buy new packs, i went through 3 sets of aal's in a year....they were all teh long type.

What packs did you buy? I only want to go 2" and the only 2 company with full packs are OME, The OME packs are expensive and rock lizard but they dont just sell the packs.

If i bought new stock leafs to level out my stock XJ would adding an AAL to that last long? Or should i buy new stock leaf packs and add the main leaf from my old sagging leafs for a bastard pack?

using an AAL is like putting a bandaid on after your finger gets chopped off. it might help for a minute but its not fixing the problem. just break down and buy new springs. when you put an AAL on a sagging spring pack the new leaf is bearing all the weight, and sooner or later it will sag just as bad. save yourself some time and do it right the first time.

just my 2¢

For only 2" I would go with RE 2.5" full length AAL. Rusty's has 2" coils which woudl be nice, or you can go spacers upfront. I just lifted a buddies 2001 XJ 2" recently, and we took care of the vibes by shimming the rear axle. Thing rides really nice now!

I've had an AAL in my 96 XJ for 3 years. It's sagged, but it still works. It's not ideal, but it's cheap. you need to get full length, like ones that go all the way to the spring eyes. For 2" I'm sure it will last plenty long and you will be happy with it, especially for the price. Also, with 2" of lift, if you aren't going to replace the shocks, just do bar pin eliminators all around, which will fix your shock length problem on the cheap.

My procrap aal's lasted me a 2 day offroad trip and I came out of the bush draggin ass and rubbing.

Not sure where you are looking, but OME leaf packs are cheaper than both RE and Skyjacker, if you go through the right place....

put add a leafs on my 89 jeep didnt even lift it. springs were to saggy and had to put a block in it to get the lift i needed, go for the new leaf pack or a bastard pack.

I put cheapo parts store AALs on my sagging '98. It leveled out nicely, that was a year and a half ago. I'm planning to replace with the leftovers from my '88 project XJ, but it's still level.

If I bought new heavy duty stock leaf packs to level out my stock XJ from Quadratec, could i use the main leaf from my old stock packs and add it to the new HD spring packs for some lift. It wont be as bad as an AAL b/c the spring rate would be very close. Whatta ya think?

About how much lift would be gained from doing that?

JeepXJsport12 said:
If I bought new heavy duty stock leaf packs to level out my stock XJ from Quadratec, could i use the main leaf from my old stock packs and add it to the new HD spring packs for some lift. It wont be as bad as an AAL b/c the spring rate would be very close. Whatta ya think?

About how much lift would be gained from doing that?

Great idea. It should give you an inch or two of lift since the spring rate woudl be higher. It may even give you more, only one way to tell.

I had Rusty's 2 inch Full AAL in my 94 leaf spring pack. Put those in Jan. 2004, I now have the same pack in my 98 three years later. No sag, but it doesnt get off road much, maybe 4-6 times a year. They are stiff as hell but they are cheap and have worked for me. O-yeah, the 94 stock leafs were sagging badly from towing a boat for years. The Rusty's AAL worked great, actually raised it back to normal and then about 2.5 inches above that. I was actually unhappy with how much higher the back sat above the front, which had 1.75" coil spacers.

Last edited:
Yeah add a main and a 1 inch block and you would be good. If you are only lifting it 2" axle wrap won't be an issue. With that said, you will lift it farther so think about if you want to do it now and save you from having to do it again later. I know what you are going to say because all of us say it, but trust me I'm right.
Good Luck !

I pulled my aal's off a bone yard rig along with the front coils for three inches of lift. they have been in place for over a year now and work great. I was looking for a d44 rear and found it strapped to the aal's $250.00 for the lift and d44

BRIANHO13 said:
Or go to a junkyard and get some s-10 leaves, and build your own pack.

my dd has had a full length add a leaf for a year and a half. It does get wheeled but not hard. it still rides at the same 3.5 inches higher than stock, and a little bit stiffer than before but still comfy for the dd. I have since built an s-10 based bastard packfor someone else and would definitely do that in the future, and solidly recommend it to anyone considering the aal. it is not much more work and MUCH better ride/flex. it is also considerably cheaper.

Mine have been in over a year, and I wish they'd sag a bit. I'm actually taking out my shims and the bottom leaf Sunday. It's too high for what I intended. Oh, yes--full-length RE AALs.

The only add a leafs that I've heard good reviews about have been the single Old Man Emu add a leaf...and that's if you use them with the full 3" Old Man Emu packs. I run full OME spring packs on my XJ and love them...I'm thinking of adding the single add a leaf from OME because they don't work "against" the spring pack, like many other single aals do. But, take that for what it's worth. Some people swear by aals of any flavor, some don't. Yes, an AAL will cause sag and premature wear from your leaf packs. Do a lot of research, talk to a lot of people, and make your decision from there. I'd have to agree though, full packs are the way to go...do it right once, and you won't have to do it again. The only reason I'm adding a OME aal to my OME pack is because I went higher in the front than OME sells...so I need to bring up the rear to match...but I'm already starting with a solid, reputable, good quality foundation by having OME packs.

Timber said:
Mine have been in over a year, and I wish they'd sag a bit. I'm actually taking out my shims and the bottom leaf Sunday. It's too high for what I intended. Oh, yes--full-length RE AALs.

How was your sag before you put the AAL's in? What are you running up front?

Back