• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken coolant overflow fitting

Tantric XJ

NAXJA Forum User
'94 4.0L w/AC

The coolant overflow hose fitting just below the radiator cap is broken on a plastic tubbed radiator. Does anyone know of a decent fix to restore the vacuum needed to return coolant to the radiator. I'm just trying to avoid replacing the radiator.

Is there some of the stem left, or did it snapped off right at the base, with nothing left?

If there is some stem left, I'd go to the hardware store and try to find a piece of metal tube to fit over the remaining stem and JB weld it in place.

If broken at the base, I'd go to the hardware store and try to find a proper sized barb, plastic or brass, try to tap it into the hole left in the neck. Be careful, it can only go so deep, the pressure cap has to fit past it. May have to go 1 or 2 threads deep with some JB Weld to hold it.

recently at the parts store I saw something that looked like it would fix this. It looked like a plastic nipple with a nut that screwed on it, with rubber gaskets between. I would guess you could drill out the old outlet and jut tighten this one in.

The bad part is it was not in a package, so I have no part # or brand, but it was an AutoZone.
Good Luck!

My 94 did the same thing last fall. I still had the piece that broke off and used a nylon sleeve i got from Sears. Installed the sleeve into the rad tube...then JB welded the broken piece back on over it. It's been holding fine.

I had some concerns about the sleeve being a bit smaller for coolant escape to the overflow, but i havent had any issues thus far. I have a trip out west planned for Sept...i do plan to replace the rad before i leave however. This rad was only a few years old and wanted to get a little more use out of it.

How about getting a short piece of brake line and flaring it at the end, then seal it with some JB weld? I dont know if it will work, just a thought?

Back