• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TIRE WEAR Huge problem.

JonsXjProjekt

NAXJA Forum User
Gone through my second set of tires in......6,000 MILES! Ran TRXUS MT on the front the first time, Seond set destination MT's... First set I ate up very fast. Then got an alignment, Been about 4,000 miles, and Tires are almost done. My rear Trxus MT are like 20% worn.. what is the deal.. New tie rod ends? Get a new shop to align my damn pos.. or what.. Need an idea of what it could be.

Thx for the help

Jon

No offense meant here...but are you in the Jeep when it get aligned?? sometimes the driver's weight can be enough to throw off alignment/camber....That's something I would try.

Also, does the front end pull to one side or another?? (alignment/dragging brake issue, possibly camber as well) shake, shimmy or vibrate on the road?? (thrown belt, wheel balancing, etc....)

I would check the alignment again, and be sitting in the Jeep when it's done. (especially if you're a bit.....bigger than average) Also check into the camber of the fronts.

Sounds stupid, I know...but can't this problem be caused by running with 4WD/lockers engaged on dry pavement??

Im 175 Lbs, Camber seems to APPEAR to be fine from sight The wear is dead even down both sides. All wheels balanced when put on (both times). Open front and rear and it does not pull at all runs straight when i take both hands off the wheel. And I have no shake/ Shimmy going down the road. Although I used to have the Death wobble when hitting a huge bump or pothole, but It has gone away with the help of a new steering stabalizer the old one was pouring fluid when i replaced it. I thought they check the Toe In-Out when they do the alingment. Can't seem to figue out what is wrong, Need some more help on this issue please. And joe, thanks for the help.

If your tire wear is "dead even" down both sides then it sounds like a tire pressure problem. Not enough pressure, they wear on the outside. Too much pessure they wear down the middle.

If your TRE's are bad, the alignment shop should see that, same with ball joints, bearings etc. I'd have another alignment shop check it and go by whatever tire pressure is stamped on the tire.

First off--if you had "death wobble", and all you did was install a new steering stabilizer, you have other suspension issues you need to address. Your Jeep will handle fine without a steering stabilizer, it only masks other issues, like worn TRE's, track bar bushing/TRE, and bad ball-joints.
Second, didn't you ask for a copy of the alignment results? This will give the comparison of before and after actual specs versus factory specifications. You should know what your camber, caster, and toe-in are, before and after the alignment. If the shop won't give you this data (ask before the alignment), go else where.
Third, like Paradisexj said, if the tires are wearing evenly on the inside and outside, your tire pressure is low. If you're running larger than stock tires, lower than normal pressure is required to get full contact on the pavement; too low, and you get the wear pattern you're talking about. I find the "correct" air pressure to get full contact with my 33x12.5's eats up gas and power--so I run 32psi, which would result in the center of the tires wearing--if this were my daily driver.
For us to help more, you need to post the actual alignment numbers obtained from a reputable shop. Both caster and toe-in are possible adjustments; camber is not readily adjustable, so if it's out, that would normally indicate worn ball joints.

thx for the help :) Im just going to get a JKS track bar new TRE's Ball Joints And new tires if this doesnt work.. Then im going to drive the jeep off the cliff since i got it for $500

Even if you only paid $500 for it, check to see if you need new ball joints before replacing them. Find whats wrong before you start replacing things. Thats how a problem gets annoying.

What are the specs on your Jeep? How much lift, for example.

summitlt said:
If your going through tires in 6,000 miles, there is something REALLY wrong. It has to be super obvious

x2

I would think you could almost see the tires smoking with that aggressive of wear.

You didn't mention what kind of wear you were experiencing......outside or inside edge of the tires or......? The only two adjustments that can be made are caster and toe (camber can be adjusted with offset upper ball joints). Too much toe in will quickly wear out the outside edge of the tires (trust me on this one) caster issues are usually shimmies, twitchy steering and/or poor steering wheel return to center. I'd say your alignment shop is hosing you as there isn't much to adjust and they obviously aren't getting it right. You might want to try and do your own like I did with help from here: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm It's really not that difficult------------Hans

Yea, you have serious suspension issues. I ran TRXUS MT's and the wore REALLY well.

BUT, if you decide to run it off a cliff (not sure wear in philly there is one unless you are looking at the new PECO parking garage :) ) But if you decide that it ain't wrth $500. Look me up. I'm moving to Philly on May 9.

Back