• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late model XJ Steering Shaft fit an older XJ?

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I am narrowing my steering slop problem. Everything is tight under the rig. I have concluded that the problem lies in my steering shaft or in the column. When pulling on the steering shaft, I can hear the upper u-joint (near the firewall) making a slight rattle. When turning the wheel to lock at full stop...it creakes up there near that same ujoint or seal up on the firewall.

I am thinking of swapping in a newer shaft. I would hate to fork over $250 for a new Borgensen shaft when this may not be the whole problem. Plus I am dead broke! I want to put a late model one in, as it should have less miles than one from my era of XJ.

Does anyone know if it will fit? When researching these OEM parts...I only see available for years 84-94. I have a '92 XJ. Sounds like from this information...it may not work. Any ideas/suggestion? Thank!

-Scott

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it seems that the shape of the end of the steering column is different, so the later ones don't fit. As far as I know, the cutoff point is between 96 and 97. I know that an 89 shaft will fit a 95 and vice versa. It's too bad, because the later shafts telescope easily, making installation much easier. The old ones require you to move the steering box.

Back