• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting A Sound bar in A Older XJ

Only In A Jeep XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Any one know if the ovehead sound bar out of a newer XJ will fit an older XJ? If so does the head liner fit to?

The headliner WILL fit. You need the newer dome lights because the holes are different. The plugs for the dome lights looked to be the same but when i plugged them in my rear dome fried and im the process of fixing it. Could be different but i wanted to warm you.

As for the sound bar in the back it looks like it will fit but it wont line up with the headliner when your done. You have to break the plactic wings off the sound bar and make some that you can attach closer to the middle of the sound bar.

If you have some scrap aluminum laying around you should be able to fab new wings and install everything in an hour or so.

i put a soundbar into my 91. there wasn't that much problem. the "ears" slid behind the headliner molding once i loosened them and while it doesn't fit super flush they fit decent enough. i even used my old light assembly up there but all the holes did not line up. i did have to run a short sheet metal screw into the crossmember plate to hold the center of the bar snug to the roof line. if i remeber the post that the light normaly attaches to didn't quite line up with the bar, otherwise it will sag in the middle. so far no problems,it stays up when wheeling and certainly sounds better than the old hatch mounted speakers did when i have the area stuffed with junk!

The rear deck can accommodate 6X9 Speakers with some cutting and improvising. I may be tackling this job this weekend, I have some cheap 6X9 Pioneers sitting in the garage.

Rick Anderson said:
The rear deck can accommodate 6X9 Speakers with some cutting and improvising. I may be tackling this job this weekend, I have some cheap 6X9 Pioneers sitting in the garage.

Thats the problem I've done this and the speakers won't stay in place they keep falling out. and no mater what I do the holes just get bigger with each try and i end up with the same results.

Back