• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5 on a 98

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
i will be replacing my 3in rough country which is starting to sag after 2 years hopfully with a 3.5 RE. i was wondering where i coud find out what type of t case i have and i think that i have a hp dana 30. i know that i have a 8.25 rear. right now i dont think that i have any vibes, but it is hard to tell since my 31s are rubbing in the back just while on the road right now. should i lift it and see where the vibes are or go a head and by shims and a t case drop now just in case, as soon as i can i will get a sye when i have the money. for a 3.5, what would be a good estimate on shims? also, is there any place that sells RE lifts with the shocks, or a place that sells good shocks cheap. right now i have RC shocks up front and rancho 9000s in the rear. for some reason, the ranchos would not fit in my friends 4.5 lift in the rear but the rough countrys did so we swaped. i know the rid will be harsh, but i was not sure if they will be long enough since i have heard that RE lifts usually net higher then advertised.

If your transfer case selector lever has just 4 positions (2h, 4h, N and 4L), then you've got the NP231. If there's another position labeled something like "Full Time", you've got the NP242. Your '98 should have the High Pinion Dana 30 (if the pinion is above the centerline of the pumpkin, bingo, High Pinion). I have the RE 3.5 on mine with 1" lift shackles, and it sits about 5" total. I've got a swing out bumper and heavy gas tank skid on there, so it weighs the back end down a bit. RE's lifts generally net you above the advertised amount.
My vibes were not to be ignored at anything above 35mph, but I only made a short trip before the SYE went in. Some folks have no vibes, some get rid of them with a transmission drop. The best solution is the SYE. If you need to drive it far for work, you might want to get the drop kit, and a couple sizes of shims before you lift.
You'll likely need new shocks. Take a look at the sponsors forum for good folks to buy from. I bought almost all of my stuff from DPG. Those guys are great, have good prices, and they're very knowledgeable and helpful.

DPG Offroad

The "Search" function in the menu bar above is a goldmine of good XJ information. Reading the sticky post on searching will help narrow your searches and get you the info you want. Good luck with the lift and don't forget to liberally douse every bolt with PB Blaster or the like for at least a week before you do it. It's a big help.

Back