• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 and a SYE what r my options?

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
242 and a SYE what r my options?
i ready somewhere the normal porc unit will not go on the 242 correct.
i wanted to run the porc and a stock front d shaft.
is there another way to run the front shaft?
does the hack and tap use the same shaft as the front.
what other options do i have?

this will be the first step of the mods
sye
front tow hooks
3.5 lift
31's on moabs
then drive it..
i tried searching but there isnt much info on the 242 that i could find.

I BOUGHT MY SYE OFF OF EBAY FROM SOME COMPANY AND I CAN US A FRONT DRIVE SHAFT ON IT MOST SYE KITS WITH THE NEW OUTPUT SHAFT WILL HAVE A YOKE THAT WILL BE ABLE TO JUST GET A FRONT DRIVE SHAFT LENGHTEND.

You can do the Tom Woods kit, which is a glorified hack n tap with an added oil seal and new shaft for about 500 or do a search for a user name gojeep and his early np242 sye. On my 99 with the 242 I just did I hacked and tapped the output shaft and bolted on a cv yoke from a corvette, which is a slight variation of the gojeep sye.

Another option is a 231 with something like an Advanced Adapters SYE. That's what I did to my 242. :) That coupled with a D44, and my rear shaft was like .5" longer than the front or something like that. Gotta love it, interchangeable shafts. Otherwise, a hack-n-tap is about your only option.

Mark

i just did the P.O.R.C. hack n tap on my 90 with the 242. was a piece of cake. used the front shaft and baught an adapter from napa. the front shaft could use another 1-2 inches though. but i am at approx 5.5" of lift and have a D44 swapped in.

napa adapter #PUJ627 cost was 79.00
YOKE1.jpg

SYEYOKE2.jpg

Last edited:
markw said:
Another option is a 231 with something like an Advanced Adapters SYE. That's what I did to my 242. :) That coupled with a D44, and my rear shaft was like .5" longer than the front or something like that. Gotta love it, interchangeable shafts. Otherwise, a hack-n-tap is about your only option.

Mark

Are you telling me to sawp my 242 to a 231 and thenuse a SYE.
ya thats not really an option i was looking for :D

mojojojo said:
i just did the P.O.R.C. hack n tap on my 90 with the 242. was a piece of cake. used the front shaft and baught an adapter from napa. the front shaft could use another 1-2 inches though. but i am at approx 5.5" of lift and have a D44 swapped in.

napa adapter #PUJ627 cost was 79.00

so you did a hack n tap using this from porc
tnRE1807.jpg

And whats this adapter your talking about for??
is it because you have a 44 in the rear?
i have a 35 in the rear if it makes a difference

ok i thought the front shaft had a flange that would mate right up to the hack n tap flange.like this one. as i remember my superduty d shaft had a flange that bolted up just like this... Maybe not.. been a while Pics appreciated.. (yes it has double cardons front and rear, hate doing ujoints on those things)

i think im figuring out that the "adptor" is to go from the double cardon to the flange.
does the front drive shaft not have the "adapter" or its one that wont mate to the hack n tap flange?
resye.3.jpg

Last edited:
so the flange on the stock front driveshaft will not mate up to the hack n tap flange right? so thats where the adpter comes in

so get this and your adter a front shaft and ill be good to do a hack and tap..
resye.2.jpg

alwaysready said:
so the flange on the stock front driveshaft will not mate up to the hack n tap flange right? so thats where the adpter comes in

yep yep. your other options are a regular yoke and a rear shaft. i had an extra front shaft so this was the obviouse choice for me.

alwaysready said:
ok i thought the front shaft had a flange that would mate right up to the hack n tap flange.like this one. as i remember my superduty d shaft had a flange that bolted up just like this... Maybe not.. been a while Pics appreciated.. (yes it has double cardons front and rear, hate doing ujoints on those things)

i think im figuring out that the "adptor" is to go from the double cardon to the flange.
does the front drive shaft not have the "adapter" or its one that wont mate to the hack n tap flange?
resye.3.jpg

i stand corrected. that flange looks like it will mount o.k. it is different than mine.

well the purpose of the sye is to keep vibes away, so a regular yoke and rear shaft wont really do me any good will it.
so there is only 2 options so far
1 the tom woods kit
2 hack n tap with adpter and front shaft
wella tleast i have options.. thanks for the quick pics too.

Back