• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears in a 86' Command trac?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
I was at the junk yard on Monday and noticed a 86' Cherokee, v6, 2.8l with Command-trac. How do I tell what gears it has? Is there somewhere to see a symbol or numbers? What exactly does a 'gear' look like?
Thanks in advance

Btw if it matters at all i'm pretty sure it was a manual if I remember right. 4 door.

From JeepHorizons.com
3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

Doesn't say anything about the 2.8, but I would guess it has 3.07s if it is a manual.
Gears are located inside the differentials, made of two parts, a ring and a pinion, that have "teeth"...kinda hard to describe with words. The gear ratio would be on a tag/sticker that goes around the axle tube in the rear...but being that old, it probably isn't there or isn't readable...

Thanks. I imagine it'd be hard to describe with words what the 'gears' were. A picture would help, if anyone has it so I know what to be looking for once I get the axle apart.

100_0073.jpg

100_0074.jpg

this is not what it will look like but you can see the gear here pretty well. the gear will look like this, but it will be mounted to something more like this:
diff-jeep.jpg

you can take em out fine yourself, but have someone else put them in if you dont know what you're doing, the gears have to mesh together just right or they'll wear badly and give you problems. you should get the pinion too, it needs to match the gear you're taking. you will see it when you take out the main gear carrier. its held on with a nut that is inside the yoke where the driveshaft hooks up. it will be easiest to loosen the nut while the gears are still in, so the pinion itself doesnt spin. then after the carrier comes out just tap the end of the pinion with a hammer and it weill come right out.

make sure the gears match the ratio of the front set, otherwise you'll destroy your transfer case. unless yours is 2wd, then it wont matter.

hope this helps you!
-mike

Back