• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift/axel angle Q's?

XJ longhouse

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Xj and planned on installing a RE 4.5" lift, I was wondering if I cut all the brackets off my rear axle and rotate it back to get rid of the high pinion angle, then weld it all back together would that get rid of the problem of needing a SYE? if so I'm gonna try it with the RE 5.5"

Please let me know your opinions and potential problems
thanks

Probably not a good idea. The problem is at the transfer case, not the axle. The SYE eliminates the slip yoke on the output shaft (which can create the vibes if put at an angle from a lift kit). A Hack and Tap uses a double flange instead. Go with an SYE and a new driveshaft. I have a 3.5" RE lift on my 99 and I had wicked vibes until I got an RE Hack and Tap and a new driveshaft.

Last edited:
An RE 5.5" lift is $1400. You can get the 4.5" kit and an SYE/Driveshaft combo for $1400. Its a no-brainer. If it were me, I would just save a little longer and get the 5.5" since you get control arm drop brackets and braces with the kit. I am pretty sure that moving your spring perches is a bad idea and will not fix the problem. If it did, then everyone on this forum would skip the $400 SYE/driveshafts and do the same thing

im pretty sure to save over $400, someone would learn how to weld or find someone that can. the vibes come from the transfer case, not really the pinion. If welding it was an option, everyone and their dog would have done it and no one would install SYE's. You can weld it, but prepare to hear "i told you so" when you do it and it does not fix the vibes and you end up buying an SYE anyway

Last edited:
Im no expert but i think that that what usually causes the need for a sye when you lift a lot is that it the drive shaft ends up at a steeper ange. The stock rear driveshaft has single cardan u joint on each end which is what causes vibrations when they turn over larger angles. After a sye is installed someone usually gets a drives shaft with a double cardan joint so that it can run at the steeper angle. The axle pinion angle is only part of the problem when lifting. You need to worry about the angle between the transfer case output shaft and the front of the driveshaft, thats why a transfercase drop can sometimes help with vibrations by reducing that angle. But at some point you cant fix it by changing angles and you have to get a double cardan driveshaft.

Back