• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 xj took a crap! "HELP"

97xjsp0rt

NAXJA Forum User
ok i picked up an 87 xj with 125,xxx miles. auto i drove it from florida to maine 1600 mile trip drove and ran awesome. i parked it in my driveway overnight and then drove it to work the next day. all of a sudden it craps out. just turns off while driving i went into the emergancy lane try starting it nothin. like 3 trys later it comes back on. but runs alittle rough. brought it home and dies again. fuel pump didnt come back on after trying it. replaced the relay and it works. but now that it comes on. it idles all wrong i can touch the door locks radio window button lights nothin really that has power to it. it makes my volts go to zero. and when u drive it the temp guage shows that its overheating. if u let it idle for awhile it will shut off. im pretty confused on this one. can someone help me out on this one.

remove and clean up or replace the ground strap between the firewall and the engine block. disconnect the battery first "of course" there may be many other grounding/bonding cables and/or straps throughout the rig, but the one on the back of the block seems to be a recurring theme. there should be some gurus to come along and fill you in on details soon

I had a similar problem less than 24 hours ago. check the battery cables mine were pretty bad replaced them an everything is working like it should again. Mine dies on the road had to have a friend come tow me the rest of the way to his house. driving through a yuppie neighborhood with one pos XJ towing another is great fun :gee:

Back