• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission flush or multiple fluid changes

spudly

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I'm on to the next area of baselining my XJ, the transmission and driveline.

From the looks of things so far in the engine it looks like regular maintenance was not a huge concern of the PO. So that means that the trans was neglected as well.

My question is this, should I have the trans flushed to push out all the old crap or perform multiple changes to get most of the of fluid out? It may even have the wrong, ATF +3 or +4, fluid in it. It was low when I bought it. I added 2 1/2 quarts of dex III and that seemed to resolve the shifting issue it had when it was cold.

The fluid looks brownish, but doesn't smell burnt. The rig has almost 170,000 miles on it. The documentation given to me was sparse, just some info on the lift kit and some maintenance done when the belt broke about 20,000 miles ago.

I would just have it flushed with DEXIII and not worry about it, it will be done and out of the way with so you can start another project for the rig

DurbElites said:
I would just have it flushed with DEXIII and not worry about it, it will be done and out of the way with so you can start another project for the rig
I agree. I did mine about the same time, 160K and it hasn't had any problems and shifts real well. Took about 5 and half gallons to get the fluid clear and red again.

Back