• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to fix oil leak ASAP

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
So I have had a bad oil leak I have neglected for awhile and I am now forced to deal with it..first off I have 2 cars and normaly drive the car over the jeep since it has this leak but I am forced to leave the car behind for a trip.

I have a 1993 cherokee with a remanufactured 4.0L with about 75,000mi on it. I put in the motor along with a friend (this being my first ever motor remove and install) The engine came as a long block so I needed to move over all covers/pans/assy. I tell you this because I fear that I am leaking from my timimg chain cover..when I put the oil slinger on I was sure at the time that I put it in right but after the engine was installed and I looked back at the service manual I am second guessing myself. This may not even be possable for it to be the problem but I have no other idea..

What is happening is I have a massive oil leak that sprays up the passenger side of the engine and on long road trips it will even go up the side of the windshield. It's only the passenger side, the driver side is completely clean and clear of oil. When the jeep is parked a good sizeable amount of oil will be on the ground under the oil pan...though I believe it's just running back from a part further upfront. What I think is happening is that my timinng chain cover is leaking and from fan air and just general air passing through is blowing it up the side of the engine and when parked the residule is just flowing down and dripping at it's lowest point at the pan....could this be somewhat accurate? what do you guys think?

Id start by cleaning off all oil. Use some brake clean or carb cleaner or even pressure wash it. Keep an eye on where it is leaking from first off. Go from there. Shouldnt take too long for it to start leaking again if it is bad enough.

A common leak source is the oil filter adapter.

The o-rings are available from the dealer, as well as other sources, it is a cheap and easy repair.

Rev

Rev Den said:
A common leak source is the oil filter adapter.

The o-rings are available from the dealer, as well as other sources, it is a cheap and easy repair.

Rev

Make sure you use a little bit of grease when you replace these o-rings. If not they dry out quick and you will be doing it again. The Oil filter adapter is on the passenger side so there is a good chance that is it. It runs out of there and down to the pan and across. Going down the hi-way it would probably be forced up resulting in it blowing out all over the window. Do like the one guy said and clean it all off real good first. Search the site for this problem and you will probably come across a thread that will help you swap them out.

I don't think a leak, even major, from the lower half of the engine could spray up onto the windshield. How does the valve cover look? Find the highest wet spot on the engine and that's gotta be the source.

Yea that is alot of oil to be loosing I dont think that a timing chain cover leaking could make its way to the windshield unless you have a 150MPH XJ. Maybe the valve cover. Any pics?

ok well I FINALY had time to clean it, looks like a little might be comeing out of the oil filter adapter. I let it run for about 30 min while watching everywhere with a flashlight and that was the only leak, (other then the rear main) I saw. we will see after I drive it arround a bit and see if I can catch it comeing from somewhere else.

Simple fix??????

Last time you changed the oil filter, did the o-ring from the old filter stick on the adapter? I have seen this happen and when it does the o-ring on the new filter does not seat properly-causing a tremendous loss of oil.

hortonsinnm said:
Accourding to his profile, he is a crew chief. I am assuming that is what the AF means. His profile also says Oregon, I was not aware of a base in Oregon though.
:patriot:

YES, I am in the Air Force Reserves as an aircraft mechanic (KC-135/C-17) I am stationed at McChord AFB, WA....you would think if I could fix a multi-million dollar aircraft I could fix a simple oil leak on my heep :dunno: lol

Jess said:
Simple fix??????

Last time you changed the oil filter, did the o-ring from the old filter stick on the adapter? I have seen this happen and when it does the o-ring on the new filter does not seat properly-causing a tremendous loss of oil.

Last oil filter change the o-ring did came off with it

I thing all of your leak is the oil filter adaper.....it likes to leaks and run down the lip of the block, for the oil pan, drips off of the back of the pan and acts like a rear main seal.....Valve cover gasket can cause this too.

Mine is leaking between the block and head on the passenger side.:(

my big leak was the oil filter adapter!!!!

Flash.

will be replacing the oil filter adapter o-rings as soon as I have some time to do it after work. I hope this is it I am tired of driving up to the base and having oil all over the place.

I did clean the engine as I said and only noticed the one leak off the adapter houseing and the valve cover gasket has been replaced recently and the same with the rear main.

UPDATE sorry this is taking me so long but I finally had time to change my seals on the oil filter adapter,

IF YOU HAVE A 93 CHEROKEE IT"S NOT A T-60 TROX ITS A 9/16th ALLEN!!!

Sorry well with that out of the way all that came out of the change was cleaning and new seals on the adapter, oil leak is still there :-(. This is a hard one to find, I am pretty positive it's not my valve cover. Next week I have a few days off with the kid and mom gone so I think I am going to re-seal the valve cover anyways, just in case, and re seal the timeing chain cover allong with replaceing the oil slinger. Clean up the engine and HOPE I got it. I am tired of driveing and oil being thrown up on my windshield :-(

Wow, that leak does sound extreme! I hope the valve cover gasket solves your problems. I've recently replaced the rms, oil pan, oil filter adapter o-rings and vc gasket. I was was solid for a couple weeks but, I noticed today when I was disconnecting my sway bar the the new oil pan was a little shiney in a couple spots. No drops yet but, am sure it will be soon :banghead:

Back