• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Mythbusters.. Muwahaha..

IronSmiles

NAXJA Forum User
Alright.. between owning a jeep myself and being around my offroading buddies a lot.. I've come across a couple XJ myths that I've been curious to find out what's really true and whats not.. so where's the logical place to go? NAXJA! Here we go..

Myth #1 - If you have a snorkel instead of a high flow cold air intake like K&N, it won't matter if you have a bored out throttle body, headers, high flow cat and exhaust, you won't see any significant gains in HP or performance.

Myth #2 - 33" tires will always be out performed by 35" in ALL offroad situations and conditions.

Myth #3 - Bedlining the interior floor of your XJ is pointless unless you bedline the underside as well because rust will just eat through the opposite end.

And last but not least..

Myth #4 - XJ owners are better looking and smarter than Wrangler owners.:laugh2:

So.. Let's hear it, What's confirmed, plausible, and busted?!

IronSmiles said:
Alright.. between owning a jeep myself and being around my offroading buddies a lot.. I've come across a couple XJ myths that I've been curious to find out what's really true and whats not.. so where's the logical place to go? NAXJA! Here we go..

Myth #1 - If you have a snorkel instead of a high flow cold air intake like K&N, it won't matter if you have a bored out throttle body, headers, high flow cat and exhaust, you won't see any significant gains in HP or performance.

Myth #2 - 33" tires will always be out performed by 35" in ALL offroad situations and conditions.

Myth #3 - Bedlining the interior floor of your XJ is pointless unless you bedline the underside as well because rust will just eat through the opposite end.

And last but not least..

Myth #4 - XJ owners are better looking and smarter than Wrangler owners.:laugh2:

RE #2 - Never say "never"... or "always" ;) There are a lot of scenarios where 33's will outperform 35s... even some that could actually happen.

RE #3 - There are reasons other than rust prevention to bedline.

Billy

1) no significant gains by snorkle
2 busted...got a buddy with locked out 31s that goes everywhere i do with 35s (for the most part)
3) i dont know if its busted or not..but i didn't line my floors for rust..i did it for cleaning reasons
4) definately true. i couldn't count the number of tools ive seen riding around in lifted wranglers, that probably didn't know what a lug nut was

4) very true, this kid at my school had a ORW lifted TJ with winch, bumper, rear tire carrier, wheels, and 32s. I asked him if he planned to put a lockers in it and he gave me this "huh?" look. Couple days later I find that his daddy bought it all and had it installed for his 16th birthday. Been a year since the locker question and there's never been a sign of any dirt ever coming in contact with his rig.

Myth #1

I have Bored TB, K&N (had ARB snorkel), Banks header, and gibson exhaust.

NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

The 4.0 HO is doing about all it can from the factory, with out internal improvements, ie CAM shaft.

bigwhitey said:
Myth #1

I have Bored TB, K&N (had ARB snorkel), Banks header, and gibson exhaust.

NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

The 4.0 HO is doing about all it can from the factory, with out internal improvements, ie CAM shaft.

Thats good to know.. I really wanna run a snorkel with those items, but my buddy was making it sound like unless I did the high flow cold air (like K&N) it wouldn't help :mad:

The ARB snorkle probably does add more power on the continent it was designed in. Australia. It's very hot crossing the middle of the continent and the snorkle pulls cooler air up away from the blazing hot road surface. 1% gain in power for every 10 degree drop in inlet air temp.
Gooday.

IronSmiles said:
Busted (kinda), I just saw 2 hot chicks driving in a wrangler on my way home from work (haha, they where checking me out - got busted by my wife, she was in the passenger side of my car:shiver:)

HOWEVER, they where both blond so you know what that means!

IronSmiles said:

First half busted, second half plausible. Wrangler's are for cheerleaders, and I'll admit that I like the look of every cheerleader better than the look of myself. But I'm a guy, so ymmv.

And I do think I'm smarter, but that's part of the job description of being an engineer. If you don't think you're smarter, how can you tell everyone that everything they do is wrong ?

I'm confused. What do you mean by "wrangler" are you talking about the 4 linked bucking broncos that every moron on the planet puts the same 4" lift kit on, or those poor, abandoned by the factory and everyone else, square headlight CJs that those complete and TOTAL morons at AMC designed in '87?

Admit it. You're all just mad that the stuck up bas***ds won't initiate or return the "Jeep wave" for you.

srimes said:
And I do think I'm smarter, but that's part of the job description of being an engineer. If you don't think you're smarter, how can you tell everyone that everything they do is wrong ?

Wise words. ;) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OCMI_Teddy said:
4) very true, this kid at my school had a ORW lifted TJ with winch, bumper, rear tire carrier, wheels, and 32s. I asked him if he planned to put a lockers in it and he gave me this "huh?" look. Couple days later I find that his daddy bought it all and had it installed for his 16th birthday. Been a year since the locker question and there's never been a sign of any dirt ever coming in contact with his rig.

that makes me sad, i wish my daddy loved me:tear:

I snicker every time I look down at wrangler and think to myself poor sonofab**ch

IronSmiles said:
BUSTED 33" Swampers will kill a set of 35" MTR's in the mud

I just picked up a 1965 M-38 do you count that as a Wrangler? Still with the 4 banger I might add! If so then no XJ drivers are NOT hotter then Wrangler drivers.:)

tbburg said:
I'm confused. What do you mean by "wrangler" are you talking about the 4 linked bucking broncos that every moron on the planet puts the same 4" lift kit on [...]Admit it. You're all just mad that the stuck up bas***ds won't initiate or return the "Jeep wave" for you.

Haha that so true, i never get a damn 'jeep wave' back, and got tired of looking stupid so now i never give a wave to any Jeep 1) without some sort of modification, and 2) is a shiny wrangler.

I'd have to say that the 'cheerleaders' that rock the wranglers are quite a bit better looking than most of the XJ drivers I've seen (you know its true)...im down for topless :lickout:

Ed

ROBZ95Xj said:
BUSTED 33" Swampers will kill a set of 35" MTR's in the mud

I totally agree.....except it should be spelled KILL!

IronSmiles said:

And last but not least..

Myth #1 I never saw the point in a snorkel unless you live in the desert, a pond or just wanna look cool.

Myth #2 You can cram a 33" tire further in a fender well than you can a 35" tire. I got more flex outta my Jeep with 33's than I do 35's and I had to bumpstop with 35's. I guess what I lost in flew I gained in ground clearance. All depends on the terrain and what kind of tires they are. If they are the same kind of tires and same size lift kit, the 35's will have better ground clearance and the 33's will flex better. Kind of a Catch 22. You need the ground clearance to get over the rocks and the flex to get through the rocks.

Myth #4 I owned a TJ before my 2 XJ's and I must say that I have gotten much smarter and better looking since I came to the dark side:)

Last edited:
Back