• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes and Shocks

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys;

I wish to change the front and rear shocks and brakes on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee; 4.0 Litre auto.

Could anyone please advise on a sensible approach to do this efficiently?

regards
collin

When I first started working on my Jeep I purchased a repair manual.

I would recommend purchasing a repair manual for your Jeep.
Look at either an auto parts store, or a bookstore for one.

If you want the best book available (also the most expensive) then get a factory service manual (either in book form or on a CD).
Click here to order one.

If they cannot send to South Africa, then call your local dealership to order one.

Its not too difficult of a task. Basically take off old stuff, replace with new.

Front Brakes:
Make sure to replace your rotors with new ones, or have them turned.
The surfaces where the caliper and caliper mount need to be clean so that the calipers won't stick. You may need to use a C-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper so that the pads will slip over the rotor.

Rear Brakes:
Do one at a time so that you have the other to look at as a guide. The special spring tools help out a lot. Make sure the adjuster is working properly and lube it up.

Front shocks:
Hold the shock body to keep it from spinning when you remove the nut on the top. Use a vice and socket to install the bar pins, a little grease helps.

Rear shocks:
Spray the upper bolts with penetrating lube every day, a couple of times a day, for a few days before you plan on changing them. They have a tendancy to break off. If they break off, use a punch and a hammer (or an air chisel) to knock them out of the crossmember, and replace the weld nuts with some shoulder nuts. There is an access hole towards the middle of the crossmember on each side that will allow you to slip in a wrench with the shoulder nut taped to it.

Back