• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case chain?

osweezea

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a cherokee and when I was driving it tonight, and while I was driving I was hearing a noise. It sounded like a chain was rubbing on something. Is there a chain inside of the transfer case? Is there a possibility that it could be a little too long? If so, what type of adjustments need to be done? If not, does anybody have a clue as to what it could be? It is a 96 with the 231. Thanks.

Transfer Case chain

I'm not sure how to fix the chain noise....but mine started to do the same thing a while back and i drove on it for a little over a week. It created enough slack to start slapping the inside of the t-case. Then it ended up knocking a hole in the transfer case. I got the transfercase replaced and the mechanic told me that if I would have brought it in when it first started doing it he could have just fixed the chain for ALOT cheaper than actualy replacing the t-case.:doh:

I picked one up from Autozone a couple of weeks ago for $72 + tax.

Back