• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Campground?

DJ as of right now we are looking into Kendal Mtn. It is through the town of Silverton and is set up for non profit org. I am waiting to here from them as the lady who usually books the group area is out on medical and new girl in the office is handling all the bookings and is a little overwhelmed. If this falls through then we will probably be staging out of Montrose. I hope to have a campground decision made within the next couple weeks, so Jeff can send them a deposit.

91 Jeep Project said:
Thanks Justin. Not finding any place called Kendall Mountain though as far as campgrounds.........:dunno:

Have a weblink by chance? Any reason not to do Ridgway State Park again?

Looking at group sites, if I recall the ridgeway group site was pretty pricey, but I do have a contact # for them.

It is not a campground but has a area for large groups to camp. Mile High Jeep club uses it when the have their event in that area.

http://www.coloradodirectory.com/skikendall/

Ok here is the deal, I have been on the phone for the last 2 hrs talking to different areas. Ridgway State Park is pretty much out. They do not accomadate groups, and everyone would have to make their own reservation, and you are only allowed two tents per site.

Kendall Mtn-Waiting to hear from town of Silverton.

All others in the area will not reserve less than a month at a time until after May 15th, and only two can accomadate a large group.

Hey, if we really get stuck - I know some great camping spots on the other side of Owl Creek Pass along the East Fork of the Cimmaron River! Long ride to refill on beer though. . . . . :looney:

MG

Thanks for posting some updates - I know you're getting frustrated with this, information and answers just don't seem to come quickly where this is concerned.

For those of you that didn't attend CO Fest '04, Ridgeway State Park was pretty difficult to deal with where the group issues were concerned. They told us about a few parts of the CG where loop roads had tent sites close together, but wouldn't let us reserve a block of them as a group. We had to get you all organized to call in during a particular week to get the sites reserved on your own. Then there was the issue of not having a good central location to be able to hang out, cook, eat, hold the raffle - we ended up congregating around Tom's camp site IIRC and got sour looks from the other campers because of the noise. We also don't have anywhere to work on rigs at Ridgeway. Extra fees for tow rigs, no place to easily park trailers.... it just isn't condusive for a group event - not easilly and not without having to have one of us organizers having to constantly be in contact with the Park Admin to ask for an exception to this or that.

I'm sure Justin is still more than willing to consider other ideas or options at this time but as it sits - not a whole lot of options and he's working on the ones he has.

91 Jeep Project said:
If Ridgway is out, and it's a choice between Silverton and Montrose. I'd prefer Montrose just because it gives everyone alot more options for anything and everything. Thanks for all the effort Justin..............:thumbup:

Montrose is on the bottom of the list, as of right now.

Thanks for all the work Justin! I'm planning on making this one, as the Silverton/Ouray area is a must-do for me every summer.
Looking forward to it! (If TJs are still allowed...:moon: :laugh: )

BillR said:
Thanks for all the work Justin! I'm planning on making this one, as the Silverton/Ouray area is a must-do for me every summer.
Looking forward to it! (If TJs are still allowed...:moon: :laugh: )

TJs yes....guys named Bill driving TJs Im not sure about. :moon:

Just an update, there are just a couple options left in the Silverton/Ouray area. One is waiting on the campground owners to decide if they are gonna allow use of a large area for group camping, this is Silverton Lakes campground, it is owned and operated by the Outward Bound School. I am hoping this pans out cause it sounds like it would work perfect for us.
The only other option for that area is the KOA in Ouray, and I am not to confident on this one. I have left them 5 or 6 messages and no one will call back.

So it the two above dont pan out then we will probably stage the event out of Montrose.

There is a state? campground outside of Silverton on the way up to the trail to Lake City. It is by the river and looks cool. Great views but few trees. You would be 5 minutes from some trails. I will see if I can find out about it. Maybe everybody can just make reservations now to hold a site.

old_man said:
There is a state? campground outside of Silverton on the way up to the trail to Lake City. It is by the river and looks cool. Great views but few trees. You would be 5 minutes from some trails. I will see if I can find out about it. Maybe everybody can just make reservations now to hold a site.
the only problem with a state campground is everyone has to make their own reservation, which in turn cost everyone more, and there is no quarnatee that we can all get in the same campground.

jrsxj98 said:
Just an update, there are just a couple options left in the Silverton/Ouray area. One is waiting on the campground owners to decide if they are gonna allow use of a large area for group camping, this is Silverton Lakes campground, it is owned and operated by the Outward Bound School. I am hoping this pans out cause it sounds like it would work perfect for us.
The only other option for that area is the KOA in Ouray, and I am not to confident on this one. I have left them 5 or 6 messages and no one will call back.

So it the two above dont pan out then we will probably stage the event out of Montrose.

You are way too late to get any sites at the koa near ouray. It is a very busy place. I would recommend contacting dave, the owner asap. Email Dave at [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]. Dave is a really cool guy.

I have stayed there the last 4 years. The ouray full size jeep invasion takes place there every july. Dave holds the entire back aspen area for us (45-50) about 13 sites good for twice that many campers and each person is responsible to contact him through email to reserve a spot. Email works because at that time they are wintering in florida. Dave holds the spots until the end of december of the year prior and that’s over six months in advance.

We have had our share of amusement there with joe, the fire, noise, and safety nazi. We have been threatened to be evicted and banned due to excessive noise such as laughter that goes with a big crowd. The rver’s are all in bed quite early watching their tv’s. The fire pits are truck rims and you can’t have a fire over 12” above the rim or else joe will be on your back. At 6000’el it is quite warm at the campsites especially after being above 12k all day long. The worst thing is there is a large house that is overhead of the back aspen area on a cliff. It’s kind of like camping under someone’s house. One year we had the front area reserved at the pond but it is too small an area for a large group. The reason everyone wants to keep going back there is because of the amenities such as showers and toilets. I have had my fill of the place.

You can check out some info at this url.
http://frontier.net/~mystkblu/07ouray/

XJ20 said:
You are way too late to get any sites at the koa near ouray. It is a very busy place. I would recommend contacting dave, the owner asap. Email Dave at [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]. Dave is a really cool guy.

I have stayed there the last 4 years. The ouray full size jeep invasion takes place there every july. Dave holds the entire back aspen area for us (45-50) about 13 sites good for twice that many campers and each person is responsible to contact him through email to reserve a spot. Email works because at that time they are wintering in florida. Dave holds the spots until the end of december of the year prior and that’s over six months in advance.

We have had our share of amusement there with joe, the fire, noise, and safety nazi. We have been threatened to be evicted and banned due to excessive noise such as laughter that goes with a big crowd. The rver’s are all in bed quite early watching their tv’s. The fire pits are truck rims and you can’t have a fire over 12” above the rim or else joe will be on your back. At 6000’el it is quite warm at the campsites especially after being above 12k all day long. The worst thing is there is a large house that is overhead of the back aspen area on a cliff. It’s kind of like camping under someone’s house. One year we had the front area reserved at the pond but it is too small an area for a large group. The reason everyone wants to keep going back there is because of the amenities such as showers and toilets. I have had my fill of the place.

You can check out some info at this url.
http://frontier.net/~mystkblu/07ouray/
So YOU guys were the ones making all the noise!party1: :yelclap:
Dave IS a great guy. I've stayed there every year for the past 5, and even got to camp along side your group one time in the "back 40". The campground has some great ammenities like a free hot tub and some good, albeit expensive, grub at the BBQ patio near the store. We've stayed in the little cabins the last 2-3 years though.
It's a park geared toward RVers and families, so I can see why they didn't like late-night noise and giant bonfires.:shhh:

BillR said:
So YOU guys were the ones making all the noise!party1: :yelclap:
Dave IS a great guy. I've stayed there every year for the past 5, and even got to camp along side your group one time in the "back 40". The campground has some great ammenities like a free hot tub and some good, albeit expensive, grub at the BBQ patio near the store. We've stayed in the little cabins the last 2-3 years though.
It's a park geared toward RVers and families, so I can see why they didn't like late-night noise and giant bonfires.:shhh:

Hey I remember you. You’re the guy from flag. Yea we get pretty loaded, I mean loud. With all my gripe about the koa you just can’t beat it for convenience and its proximity to the trails can’t be beat. I would rather camp somewhere else near silverton, though. But since the gang stays at the koa I may be staying at the ridgway lodge next year.
tipshades.gif

Back