• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Noise

xjwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Hey yall just looking for some advice. I have a 97 Cherokee 4x4 I6 np231 I have the RC 4.5in lift. Im running 32 11.50 15s, also running rustys adjustable track bar. The front axle is a Dana 30 with my rear is a 8 1/4. My question is im getting a growling noise from the front end. When I slightly turn the wheel to the left i get the noise but when i go to the right it goes away. Also im getting a clunking noise when i turn the wheel hard to the right or the left. I have done alot of rear end work on cars, race cars, mini trucks and race truck. I have hurd this sort of growling in a rear end but it doesnt fade when changing the load side to side. Im thinking that it maybe the pinion as i know the angle is not what it should be but its not as far out to kill a set of gears. I have ran much harsher angles and have had only minior problems.

Any advice would be great.

Cory

i would try checking ur wheel bearings i have a 97 4x4 I6 auto np231 with a 3.5" RE with 31s and i had both my front bearing go out and they would only make a noise in situations like what u r describing however my sound was a more of a buzz or loud hum but hey that could just be our different interpretations of the sound and who knows with the backspacing of ur rims and bigger tires it could be putting more pressure on the bearings and making the sound worse. check them or get them checked by a professional at a local shop they should be able to tell u. u can often tell urself if u jack up each front wheel and just put both ur hands on the wheel and turn it back and forth feeling for any vibrations from in the wheel if it is smooth then maybe its not the bearings also push the wheel to the inside of the car and back out if u feel any movement in the wheel then that can also be an indicator.

hope that helps

I have the clunking and found that mine is the pass side sway bar link. I compressed the suspension corner to corner by hand and located the area by ear then went deeper to find the source. Mine was/is heard when going over "sharp" bumps and when shifting weight in the front, turning the wheel side to side.

Mine is me caused with the home brew discos that now need a better pin idea.

I jacked the front end up and check the wheel bearings. There was a small amount of play. I picked up the new hub bearing Assys and put them in this morning. Took it for a drive and its still there a little less but not much. As to the sway bar, as of right now i do not have mine installed its setting on the work bench for the past 2 months. So i know its not that. Thank you for the advice though.

Get the Warn manual hub kit if you plan on running larger than stock tires on the D30. Those bearings wear out quick with 33s or 35s ($130 each hub assy). The Warn kit is like $1000 but it pays for itself in a few years and in saved fuel being wasted to turn the front shaft/R&P/axle shafts. ;)

I tore apart the whole front diff and found some major wear in the ring and pinion and also on the axles. I said screw it. Late last night i stayed up and ordered the new axles (front and rear) from Dynatrac. Im tired of having weak axles in this jeep. Dana 60 front Dana 60 rear full axles are on there way. Hub to hub they said they would be here in a couple of weeks. Thank you for all the help. While its down im gonna pull everything off the frame and check for cracks and breaks. If i find to much im just gonna go ahead and chop the sub frame and tube the chassie and make it the right way and fix those wonderful engineering problems so i can drive it like i like to.

Back