• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door pin question

AZRockRunner

Nobody
OKhere are 2 pics of my front door hinge pin on my 90 cherokee. It looks alot different than the pics that I have seen on the write ups for doing the removable doors. Can anyone tell me if the procedure is the same with the pin I got?

tophinge.jpg

bottomhinge.jpg

looks like you can grind the top flush use a dowl pin punch and push it out the bottom then use a corect size grade 8 bolt and nut......well atleast thats what id try

On my '90 what I did was remove the bottom 'ear" of the hinge, pried the hinges apart, then removed the pin and redrilled for 1/4" bolts to use as pins.

Rev

ok, silly question then. If I have to remove the " pin " thats in there now and use a bolt. Why cut the bottom ear off and make it a single shear hinge? Why not leave it a double shear hinge?

I did the same as rev and cut off the bottom "ear". Then I took a chisel and a pickel fork and simply pried them apart until the bottom "ear" fell off. But I imagine you could use a chisel and just pry them apart a little and them cut the pin. And it is made that the section of the pin in the top and bottom part of the ear is slightly thicker so in order to slide them on and off easier cut them there anyway. It also helps to leave one pin slightly longer than the other, neither longer than 2 inches though. Hope that helps

Back