• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should temp gauge sit at when warmed up in the summer

should run right around 210.
Mine loves to run a bit cool, and sits at 195 as soon as the t-stat opens.

87manche said:
should run right around 210.
Mine loves to run a bit cool, and sits at 195 as soon as the t-stat opens.

x2, Unless I am doing over 70mph, then it sits at about 215

But we all have 195° Thermostats?

Is this because the temp for the gauge is read at different sensor farther back in the head?

I've never tried it, but have read posts where people who put temp sensors/senders/capillary tubes for After-Market Gauges in the water jacket far away from the thermostat, actually see temp go up/down with engine load.

If you put the sensor at the typical spot, the thermostat housing, you get exactly the thermostat temp and its stays there constant as long as your cooling system is working right.

Makes sense, the thermostat is the spot where the cool/warm water mix and the thermostat opens/closes to keep the fluid at its temp. Farther back in the water jacket it gets warmer.

mine runs very cool. Never hits 195. Brand new t-stat the other day as well - just to be sure. I don't get it. Over the winter, it was hard to stay warm. Damned thing never got up to temp.

NHEric said:
mine runs very cool. Never hits 195. Brand new t-stat the other day as well - just to be sure. I don't get it. Over the winter, it was hard to stay warm. Damned thing never got up to temp.

Have you checked to make sure the t-stat is opening AND CLOSING properly? You might want to do a temp check on it.

Back