• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Fenderwell Fill: Let's Settle This

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've read and heard from guys that swear by the old throw in a pool noodle and fill the gaps with expanding spray foam insulation as the tried and true way to fill the now gaping void left after a front fender trim. I've also heard a few guys say that this is a terrible idea, the foam insulation will soak up water, smell like a swamp, and rust out your fender in a couple of years.

Let's hear from folks that have done this, and what is your experience.

Let's also hear from folks about alternative ways to fill that huge front fender gap after trimming.

Thanks in advance.

Ive run with just open holes for the last 2 years.

works great!

XJ_ranger said:
Ive run with just open holes for the last 2 years.

works great!

Mine are freshly trimmed and wide open. I really don't like how the front door hinges are exposed to the wheelwell, and would prefer some way to block that gunk from getting in there and gumming/messing everthing up. I have the pool noodles and spray foam sitting in the garage, but started re-thinking this and wanted some feedback. I'm all about doing it once and doing it right with this particular buildup, re-doing and constantly modifying burned me out on my CJ, I want to avoid that.

I'm sure if you hit the pool noodles with a heavy coat of the undercoating it would seal them up a bit then put them in and seal them up again you should be could to go. Like above I've been just running without it with no problems

I am also interested in this thread, as my xj sees alot of mud and H20. Been following this topic on here, but I also don't think anybody has given a definative answer.
I would use bedliner, but want to be able to remove it in case I would ever have to replace a hinge or something.
I know one of the types of foam insulation spray is closed cell foam and won't absorb water like the others, but does anybody know which one?
I don't really like the pool noodle idea, unless it was sealed up like stated above.

So who's used the aerosol foam, and what's your experience been with it? Does it soak up gunk like a sponge and slowly rot out of there?

EDIT: I've used the closed-cell type to seal up the rock waterfall on my pond, and it works great. Unfortunately, it's hard to get locally (had to mail order it) and is twice as expensive as the regular kind.

fubar XJ said:
EDIT: I've used the closed-cell type to seal up the rock waterfall on my pond, and it works great. Unfortunately, it's hard to get locally (had to mail order it) and is twice as expensive as the regular kind.

What brand/Type did you use? website?

fubar XJ said:
So who's used the aerosol foam, and what's your experience been with it? Does it soak up gunk like a sponge and slowly rot out of there?

I've used it to seal up around a doggie door. Doesn't seem to be rotting after 3 years so far. But it probably breathes better than it would in a fenderwell. But I don't think it would rot, but it would degrade in sunlight. It may speed rust, though.

I've got a couple of factory fender liners that I trimmed to fit. I figure I can use screws or rivets to secure them. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I have pool noodles and great stuff expanding foam filling the gap in my fenders. I did this when I cut the fenders and put on TJ flares back in '02. I have not seen any signs of rust forming in the fenders anywhere near the foam/pool noodle combo. I did paint the foam and noodle with black paint so the bright colors wouldnt attract attention since the rest of my XJ is black If they hold water, I havent seen it to be a problem yet, and I can not detect any swamp smell coming from them. If I had to do it again, I would cram another pool noodle up in there and fill the rest with great stuff and call it done.

AARON

How good are your metal-working skills. Im gonna have the same problem here in a couple of weeks and Im cosidering boxing it in w/ steel or aluminum

I just run with the open...a good power-washer will spray anything "gunked" in there on the hinges away. Hit your hinges with white-lithium grease every oil change and call it done...IMHO fenderliners just keep all the crap and "gunk" that sneaks by them (and believe me shit sneaks by those liners) up there to do damage whereas open fenders allow you to clean everything out once and a while.

VinceYJ said:
I just run with the open...a good power-washer will spray anything "gunked" in there on the hinges away. Hit your hinges with white-lithium grease every oil change and call it done...IMHO fenderliners just keep all the crap and "gunk" that sneaks by them (and believe me shit sneaks by those liners) up there to do damage whereas open fenders allow you to clean everything out once and a while.
Good point, didn't think of that

I used the expanding foam (cant remember which one) been about 4 years ago. Its really hard and no air bubble holes after its dried. Been in the water plenty to test it out and have never had a problem at all. No water soaking or getting though at all. No rust at all either. Jeff

VinceYJ said:
that seemd like a good idea to me, until I had 3 days of slush on the road here, and then one real cold night.
The entire front fenderwell and my door hinnges were packed with solid ice.

Back