• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes and SHocks

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;

I want to change my (front and rear) brakes and shocks on a 1998 jeep cherokee; 4.0 Litre auto.

I have the Haynes manual.But would appreciate any suggestions on how I could accomplish this efficiently.

ALso any sugegstions on what types I should use and a possible online source will be appreciated.

thanks
collin

Well the fronts are pretty easy should go fast the rear shocks however,

Expect the top shock bolts to snap off when you try to back them out. You'll probly have to drill them out and retap the hole for a bigger bolt. Don't forget anti-sieze when you put the new ones in!
BIG TIP PB Blaster on the bolts everyday for a few days before you do the job.
Everything else should go good.

An air impact wrench to remove the bolts may help, the sudden shock may just break the bolt free before it snaps.

If your careful you can drill out the broken bolts well enough to keep the existing nut threads intact. You probably need several sizes of colbalt drill bits, start with pilot holes and work your way out.

I used lots of Blue Thread Locker, when it dries it will seal out the moisture and prevent corrosion that will seize the bolt and nut together, plus it will help keep the bolt in and prevent loosening. The anti-seize, although effective at preventing the corrosion/seizure, will act like a lubricant. BUT, honestly, I doubt anyone has had a shock bolt back out because they used anti-seize, so up to you, I just prefer the blue thread locker to seal out the corrosive elements.

Last edited:
Back