• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distibutor/Timing

lazydragon

NAXJA Forum User
As I said in previous threads, I replaced the distributor in my 89 cherokee 4.0 and could not get it to start afterwards. I took it out and reinserted several times and I finally got it to start, but now it is back firing like crazy and the engine is smoking. What in the heck did I do wrong?

lazydragon said:
As I said in previous threads, I replaced the distributor in my 89 cherokee 4.0 and could not get it to start afterwards. I took it out and reinserted several times and I finally got it to start, but now it is back firing like crazy and the engine is smoking. What in the heck did I do wrong?

What all did you already do, refresh our collective memories please?

Sounds like you finally got close on the distributor timing in your last install. Maybe still off one or two teeth but trying to run with the computer trying to compensate. Could have been flooded from prior starting attempts!

Give as many details as you can, inluding the year, & engine size again.

1989 4.0 six cylinder
I set the engine at tdc, reinserted the dist. the rotor finally sat at 5 o'clock. I cranked it over a few times and it started. I also replaced the o2 sensor.

:idea: Does it idle without your foot on the gas and then start sputtering and back firing as soon as you rev it??
If so,you are still one tooth off,ask me how I know.....

Are you sure you were on the compression stroke when you set it at tdc?

lazydragon said:
1989 4.0 six cylinder
I set the engine at tdc, reinserted the dist. the rotor finally sat at 5 o'clock. I cranked it over a few times and it started. I also replaced the o2 sensor.

This is a long shot, but make sure the O2 connector is not attached backwards. I did that with mine and it ran like chit! Mine is old and easy to attach backwards as it is missing the part that only allows it to go together one way. In fact, just disconnect it for a minute and start it, if it runs OK you had the connector on backwards like I did, then re-attach it the correct way.

Also if you did a lot of cranking for like 30 minutes over time trying to start it, it has probably got gas in the oil, and the pistons would be dry and need some oil. If you can smell gas in the oil it needs to be replaced immediately. If this is the case (flooded, gas in the oil) Pull each spark plug and drop a few drops of motor oil into each cylinder before restarting it to help the piston rings reseal, and change the oil.

Also, did you get the right O2 sensor or some kind of universal sensor? I hear the universal sensors do not work on 84 to 90 jeeps. The jeep will run fine (wastes gas a lot, but runs smooth with the O2 sensor disconnected, so this could test to see if the new sensor is the wrong one or if the wiring is backwards. One guy posted here that he actually got an O2 sensor with the wires on it wired backwards on the OEM style connector!

outlander said:
:idea: Does it idle without your foot on the gas and then start sputtering and back firing as soon as you rev it??
If so,you are still one tooth off,ask me how I know.....

Are you sure you were on the compression stroke when you set it at tdc?
Some one pointed out to me here a while back that if it started at all it had to be on the compression stroke of TDC. As you said he is probably one tooth off, unless it is one of the other two problems I suggested, or hell it could be all three at once!:wierd:

It does idle fine with foot off the gas, then sputters when I give it gas. I've done way more than 30 minutes of cranking to get it started and it is an after-market bocsh o2 sensor.

thank you very much for the input, I will try everything suggested.

Back