• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle alignment

mwaskiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
everytime i drive my 99 XJ its starts to glide towards the right. I've gotten alignments done before and everytime they say my rear axle is out of align, and they dont have the tools to fix it. what would be the easiest to fix this problem?

The only time I've seen a solid axle leaf sprung vehicle needing a rear axle "alignment" is when it had a broken leaf spring assembly/centering pin. Unless your body is SEVERELY bent, the only things that could be wrong are:
The spring pin head broken(allows the axle to move forward/back on that spring)
Maybe the front spring eye bushings are shot or a bolt is broken.

Grab a tape measure, and measure from a door line to the rear tire on both sides. If it measures the same on both sides, try the same to the front tires. The problem might be from worn/torn arm bushings on the front axle.

Do the doors and rear hatch seem to close nice and straight?

Just measure from a cross member bolt back to the rear and front axles on both sides to the same point. That will tell you what is out of alignment. I found on a number of XJ's the front was actually 3/8" out so put and extra 3/8" shim behind the lower control arm and welded up and redrilled the axle end of the upper control arm to straighten it out. You must do both upper and lower arms.

also make sure you have both your leaf springs installed in the right direction. If you have one backwards it can XXXX your axle to one side by a hair.

not to mention the ends are different sizes...

Back