• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering ?

guillermo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi... Need your advice on a steering problem. Started hearing a clunk on drivers side when I turned the steering wheel and traced it down to the steering shaft. Replaced the shaft with a used one from e-bay and the clunking went away but now my steering is too hard and it does'nt return itself to center after I turn. Is it time to replace the steering box or can it be something else ? (2000 XJ, 4.5ish lift, 31 in tires) Thanks !

You may have messed up your center over adjustment when you installed the new shaft.
I turn the input shaft for the steering box all the way left (or right) count the number of turns to reach the opposite side lock. Halve it and center the steering box input shaft. Then check it again by counting the number of turns to right lock back to center and left lock and back to center. Then hook up the shaft. It may not align perfectly, but close.
Try turning your steering wheel to left and right lock, find the center and see which position your steering wheel is sitting at.
The re-centering of the steering wheel is mostly the angle of the steering knuckle, but if something is binding, it may retard the tendency of the steering wheel to recenter. The center over adjustment, the jam nut and threaded adjuster won't tighten itself too tight? Best to leave the center over adjustment alone, unless you have a steering box component manual around and the tools to do it right. Steering shaft U joints have been known to get rusty and stiff.
I once overtightened an input shaft bearing in a steering box, worked fine when it was cold, but as it got hot it would get stiffer and stiffer until eventually I couldn't hardly turn the steering wheel, I was sweating and the pump was groaning.

Back