• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console thermometer problems.

4xchad

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee and my overhead console reads 0C for the temperature. The compass works fine and switching from US to Metric does not change the display. My owners manual does not say anything about the thermometer gauge only the compass. Any one know how to reset the thermometer or what could be causing this?
Thanks,
Chad

Mine read "OC" which I assume means "open circuit" when I was testing it without a temp sensor connected. I would check the wiring to the temp sensor (behind the front bumper) or possibly the sensor itself. You could try disconnecting the temp sensor and bridging the connector with a small piece of wire. If the console shows "SC" (short circuit?) I would think the wiring is good. Mine showed SC if I crossed the wires.

Uhh...different problem, same part (same year, too):

When I'm out wheelin, and not even flogging the Jeep, the thermometer just shoots up to 125F. I get off the trail heading home and it drops back down to where it seems "should" be. Would moving the sensor towards the middle of the Jeep, and away from the engine and exhaust do me any good?

It's not a huge deal. I was thinking of yanking the whole console out and selling it or cutting it to mount the CB where the sunglasses and garage opener doors are, anyway.

Teellandor said:
When I'm out wheelin, and not even flogging the Jeep, the thermometer just shoots up to 125F. I get off the trail heading home and it drops back down to where it seems "should" be. Would moving the sensor towards the middle of the Jeep, and away from the engine and exhaust do me any good?

It's not a huge deal. I was thinking of yanking the whole console out and selling it or cutting it to mount the CB where the sunglasses and garage opener doors are, anyway.

Mine does that too, but I just thought it meant that she was happy. :gee: It does it in the Jack In The Box drivethrough too. Kinda random but hey, I guess she likes Jack In The Box.:dunno:

Back